Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I got the van (PM 2500 gasser, not that it matters), the bulb out indicator comes on whenever I turn on the headlights. The dash displays "Running light out". Here's the thing, I don't have daytime running lights on my vehicle (that I know of). I've replaced both headlights several times since I got the van and the message and indicator light still appear. Am I correct in reading running light as indicating the DRLs? There's no other light out that I can find. Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Check the high mounted clearance lights?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think every PM comes with daytime running lights (DRLs), only they are disabled in US vehicles unlike here in Canada where they are required by law. Maybe the bulb-out monitor still functions even with DRLs disabled. FYI, the DRLs are in those narrow slits right below the main headlights. But check those clearance lights, too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I figured this out. Apparently there are small bulbs on the side of the headlights that are also considered "running lights". I never noticed them before until I took out the headlamp assembly and started counting bulbs and noticed an extra.

These bulbs are the same ones that go in the clearance lights. The chassis for the bulb was scorched pretty heavily so I wonder if water got in there somehow but when I replaced it, the dash light and warning went away and everything seems to be working for now.

·
Registered
944 Posts
So, I figured this out. Apparently there are small bulbs on the side of the headlights that are also considered "running lights".
Are they behind that narrow little amber reflector wedge that extends below the amber turn signal lens? Learn something new every day. Makes sense that there should be a side marker light up front.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are they behind that narrow little amber reflector wedge that extends below the amber turn signal lens? Learn something new every day. Makes sense that there should be a side marker light up front.
Yup, those are the ones. Even lit, they're almost impossible to see in the daylight which is why I never noticed them before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi...the light bulb indicator shows a not working bulb in that moment when you give power to the bulb.
As an examples brake light bulb is out it will not show it before you hit the brakes .
So when exactly goes the indicator on, if you just start the car probably no light is on ,is that right?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think every PM comes with daytime running lights (DRLs), only they are disabled in US vehicles unlike here in Canada where they are required by law.
Just an FYI, my 2016 does not have DRL's. The lens is "cast" for them, but has no hole cut for the bulb socket. Maybe if I wanted to, which I don't, a multi-colored LED or something could be put in there. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts