Ram Promaster Forum banner
121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Silver ProMaster 159
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 · (Edited)
My current van project is made for dispersed camping. I live in western Oregon, where there are not a lot of dispersed options. I spend a lot of time in eastern Oregon where dispersed camping is everywhere. It's also a lot colder and hotter than the western side of the state. I've spent a lot of time working on the van insulation. The window area is always hard to insulate, so I created solid window covers using 1/4 plywood, 1/8 foam and 1/2 polyiso foam, all covered by fabric. I'm kind of excited to see how it does in eastern Oregon. So far my coldest night was 7 degrees. I think these window covers will work well.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive lighting Automotive design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
719 Posts
Dennis, I’m wondering why you didn’t put a single large piece of plywood (or 2) over the entire slider, but left several metal surfaces exposed?
Inquiring mind wants to know…

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Dennis, I’m wondering why you didn’t put a single large piece of plywood (or 2) over the entire slider, but left several metal surfaces exposed?
Inquiring mind wants to know…
That would have been an option. I was mainly following the existing patterns on the door. The amount of exposed metal isn't huge, in terms of insulation loss.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
This afternoon I finished the area above the slider door. I'm becoming a fan of the 4 way stretch "trunk" fabric. It only took about 45 minutes. I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out. It isn't glued in place. It's just held in place by the adjacent panels, the two D ring anchors and the extra fold from the weather stripping.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive exterior Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,482 Posts
This afternoon I finished the area above the slider door. I'm becoming a fan of the 4 way stretch "trunk" fabric. It only took about 45 minutes. I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out. It isn't glued in place. It's just held in place by the adjacent panels, the two D ring anchors and the extra fold from the weather stripping.
Waht did you cover the open areas with?

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
The next phase is the water system. I'm using this 22 gallon over the wheel well tank with this submersible pump and this faucet. When you turn on the faucet it activates power to the pump. The photo below shows my simple tank mounting. It will be secure, but easy to remove for cleaning.
Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas Fixture Machine

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,828 Posts
The next phase is the water system. I'm using this 22 gallon over the wheel well tank with this submersible pump and this faucet. When you turn on the faucet it activates power to the pump. The photo below shows my simple tank mounting. It will be secure, but easy to remove for cleaning. View attachment 86651
Coincidentally, I was just at the shop today who fabricates those tanks for Curious Campers as I was ordering a fresh water tank for my cabin (240 Litre).

So far we really like the Curious Camper Wheel Well tanks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey, if you want an easier to use and less intrusive type of strap, try something like theses cooler straps: 8′ Length – Cam Loop Strap – Cascade River Gear. We use them to hold coolers and dryboxes to the whitewater raft frame. Super strong and easy to use. Or make. I've been making my own for decades.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
Hey, if you want an easier to use and less intrusive type of strap, try something like theses cooler straps: 8′ Length – Cam Loop Strap – Cascade River Gear. We use them to hold coolers and dryboxes to the whitewater raft frame. Super strong and easy to use. Or make. I've been making my own for decades.
Thanks for your suggestion. I am using cam loop straps in other areas of this van project. I like having the ratchet action to tighten the straps around the water tank, but it might work well to have a combination of ratchet and cam loop straps.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
This week I was mounting the propane vault. I anchored it with 1/2 bolts through the base of the vault and van floor. It takes a 4 inch bolt to reach all the way. This is the final arrangement for the propane lines which is different than the youtube video I did earlier.
Grey Sleeve Wood Material property Collar

Hood Automotive design Fender Automotive exterior Trunk

Wood Automotive tire Gas Tire Table

Corded phone Telephone Automotive design Audio equipment Telephony

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,828 Posts
This week I was mounting the propane vault. I anchored it with 1/2 bolts through the base of the vault and van floor. It takes a 4 inch bolt to reach all the way. This is the final arrangement for the propane lines which is different than the youtube video I did earlier. View attachment 86949
View attachment 86950
View attachment 86948
View attachment 86951
Looks Good 👍

Propane allows us to utilize our van with a minimal 12v energy draw. I think we could sit for up to 3 days (average estimated time to about 20% SOC) without charging our 250Ahr AGMs. How many days really depends upon the environmental conditions (weather).

I am currently looking for a propane HWT solution without cutting a 12” x 12” hole in the side of the van wall. I prefer an under chassis intake / exhaust for the combustible gasses.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,277 Posts
Propane allows us to utilize our van with a minimal 12v energy draw. I think we could sit for up to 3 days (average estimated time to about 20% SOC) without charging our 250Ahr AGMs. How many days really depends upon the environmental conditions (weather).
Comparing to our use, it appears you are approximately trading solar for propane.

121 - 140 of 180 Posts