Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a shelf using the downward angled beam that runs front to back in the top corner of the promaster. What have you guys done to level the downward slope?

Attaching a photo in a minute if this doesn't make sense...

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I riveted longitudinal backers that were a trapezoid shape to the ceiling and to the walls down 14” and out 10" from the walls Once those were attached to the van I glued/brads/screwed 1/2” plywood to them make a bottom and face with doors already cut out in the face. I didn’t make a back or top to the cabinet inside. Very fast to do and easy, strong, and space efficient.

To find the angles for the trapezoid place a traverse piece across the van at the height of the bottom of the cabinet. Square up from that as you can’t easily plumb and level in the van. Mark the angle on the end grain of a short piece of the longitudinal stock that is perpendicular to the transverse guide. Rip your longitudinal stock to that angle to have a flat face to attach the cabinet. Same process but parallel to the transverse guide for the wall backer.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,449 Posts
Just to clarify you want to put a shelf above the slider? and/or the the entire length of the cargo area?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,449 Posts
I'm asking questions because what you wrote and the responses had me puzzled.

What is the depth and distance from roof to shelf you are looking for? is it a shelf for light or heavy stuff?

I'm revisiting the shelf idea because I blocked 50% of the passenger slider and will put a 6-10 deep shelf about 3 inches down from the roof, for light stuff. I'll mount wooden blocks to the angle metal and to the forward side of the existing upper wall cabinet. Then glue and screw the shelf up from the bottom into the wooden blocks. Put a lip on the shelf, nothing attached to the roof. It will be crude but it will work.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43818&d=1514239006

Didn't catch the build link in your signature before.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm asking questions because what you wrote and the responses had me puzzled.

What is the depth and distance from roof to shelf you are looking for? is it a shelf for light or heavy stuff?

I'm revisiting the shelf idea because I blocked 50% of the passenger slider and will put a 6-10 deep shelf about 3 inches down from the roof, for light stuff. I'll mount wooden blocks to the angle metal and to the forward side of the existing upper wall cabinet. Then glue and screw the shelf up from the bottom into the wooden blocks. Put a lip on the shelf, nothing attached to the roof. It will be crude but it will work.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43818&d=1514239006

Didn't catch the build link in your signature before.
I'm not planning on a full cabinet but just a shelf. Paper towel holder, lantern, misc little stuff. Probably 38" wide, 10" or so down from the roof, and maybe 8" deep.

My build has changed a lot since that diagram ;)

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
My mini-wall cabinets are the same height as the door opening. We're short, and there's no headroom issues getting out.

I will admit, I did it more for looks than utility. I store a few small umbrellas up there... not a lot of space!

My wall cabinets are about 8"deep and the front of the mini cabinets line up evenly... the space behind the doors above the slider is about 4" deep. But, it DOES hide the wacky angle!

The fronts are suspended from above, and the "shelf" part is screwed directly up into (3) rivnuts in the sliding door header.

·
Registered
243 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts