Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
That spare tire carrier looks great... but it seems to block your licence plate? Or was it maybe just the angle of the pic? What a great build you have going so far! Looking forward to seeing the way you mount the tanks and batteries underneath.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice look!
When you installed the CRL side windows, did you use any sealant or just the butyl tape supplied?

There is no butyl tape supplied with the windows. I would recommend using butyl tape or some sort of sealant just to guarantee no leaks. It doesn't rain a lot here in San Diego but it definitely does elsewhere so I'm going to take them out and press some sealant in then wall crack and around the opening.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That spare tire carrier looks great... but it seems to block your licence plate? Or was it maybe just the angle of the pic? What a great build you have going so far! Looking forward to seeing the way you mount the tanks and batteries underneath.

It does block the license plate so I'm going to mount the plate lower.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
If you are going off road and the road is bumpy the spare tire will work itself out from that very thin
sheet metal. Just saying to be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Rip it self out. That is a lot of weight there with that thin metal. Panel not designed for weight barring. You need a big plate in the back.(inside).
I use to have a RV trailer with the spare on the back and it had thicker u tubing brackets and
I caught it just in time. Had to reinforce it. Just trying to be safe because if it comes off and caused an accident ,you can be liable. I have the van here and when I push with my thumb it moves very easy.
Use a piece of pressure treated plywood or something to distribute the load on the inside? easy.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rip it self out. That is a lot of weight there with that thin metal. Panel not designed for weight barring. You need a big plate in the back.(inside).
I use to have a RV trailer with the spare on the back and it had thicker u tubing brackets and
I caught it just in time. Had to reinforce it. Just trying to be safe because if it comes off and caused an accident ,you can be liable. I have the van here and when I push with my thumb it moves very easy.
Use a piece of pressure treated plywood or something to distribute the load on the inside? easy.

It is reinforced on the inside. Will not rip out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great work! I like the stark black and white look of the build. Lots of courage to plastic dip the bumpers. Is it prone to scratches?

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great work! I like the stark black and white look of the build. Lots of courage to plastic dip the bumpers. Is it prone to scratches?
Thanks! I'll update this thread shortly.

It's probably not "prone" to scratches but when it does scratch it looks bad. It's not difficult to repair but it will not look perfect. The white or any light color is a bad idea with Plastidip because it marks easily and since dirt sticks to Plastidip you will never have a clean looking vehicle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jostelli- thanks for the build info. Im doing the same 2 windows on my 159, expecting them next week. Still undecided on installing them myself.
I read the CRLs are 28% tinted from the factory- from what I can tell you tinted your front windows to be about the same. I'm considering tinting the CRLs down to 5% but wondering if that would be too much. I've adjusted to driving without the side windows as it is now. Seems the rear passengers could see out fine during the day at 5%. Might not be much to see at night. My main thing is I don't want to be able to see in.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How's the privacy at night with those shades, can you see in when you have the lights on?
The privacy is nice at the moment but I don't have all my LED ceiling lights installed so I can't test exactly what it will be like when finished.

With the standard dome lights on you need to come close to see in. The shades are 5% so light does go through. In stealth situations we will need black out curtains.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jostelli- thanks for the build info. Im doing the same 2 windows on my 159, expecting them next week. Still undecided on installing them myself.
I read the CRLs are 28% tinted from the factory- from what I can tell you tinted your front windows to be about the same. I'm considering tinting the CRLs down to 5% but wondering if that would be too much. I've adjusted to driving without the side windows as it is now. Seems the rear passengers could see out fine during the day at 5%. Might not be much to see at night. My main thing is I don't want to be able to see in.
Self installation is not difficult. I would add to my installation tips though. Since you never want to mess with moisture getting in I would add Sikafkex or window weld to the gasket before attaching to the van. I pulled both windows and added Sikafkex just in case.

The front windows are 35%. The rear windows are dark but if I had a choice I would have 20%. 5% would be perfectly fine as well. I drive with the 5% shades up and can still see enough.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts