Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been listing the items I want to include in my build. Any other things you might want? From previous experiences with a class a motorhome:
Wifi booster antenna
Cell phone booster antenna
Stove power vented hood
Large enough inverter and batteries to run AC for 1-2 hrs
Charging station for cell phones, laptop
Aux fuel tank
Safe
heated floor
heated bed on wife's side only
Large flatscreen tv connected to outside camera mounted as a window
Exterior motion detector lights
chest freezer

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Hummm...
I've been toying with the idea of a heated floor using radiant tubing (PEX). Perhaps 3/8 inch pipe above ridgid insulation and below a sheet of plywood all sandwiched together with adhesive of some sort? The heat source could be a small RV hot water heater. The pump a 12Vdc unit and thermostat controlled. I am thinking that freezing temps might call for RV antifreeze in it? I want to be able to camp off the grid for unlimited time so propane seems like a must for heat and refrigeration. The goal is to have the radiant heat with near silence for sleeping and the ability to live on a modest solar panel (160 watts??). Perhaps a coil under the wife's bed side for you? Being retired I could give a hoot about the electronic stuff but internet (by cell?) might be nice.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed a heated floor in our bathroom, it warms the room up plus it dries it out faster with very little wattage, something like 250 watts. Your Pex heater idea sounds good, just make sure you put down a radiant barrier under it to reflect the heat up. Cheap vodka makes a good RV antifreeze. I don't want to deal with LP gas anymore so I'm going totally electric.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I would like to do without LP too but..and you are knowledgable about this. The heat would use all the solar power even if the van were covered with panels. The refrigerator would use all of my 160 watts, batteries are expensive and heavy, some outgas hydrogen. Cloudy days happen and I would like lights, internet, and chargers for the devices. I want a shower occasionally when I am in the remote. We have a radiant heated home here in NH I built. It uses an LP hot water heater as the only source of heat so we have LP for heat, hot water, cooking, and dryer- VERY efficient.
I have read the installs here and feel the trade off for the nuisance and risk with LP may need to be lived with. If my style was to get into a park with hook ups and showers even occasionally then electric seems doable. I'll watch your progress and results. It would be great to find a balance that made solar work especially as it has gotten so much cheaper than when I did my pickup camper 6 years ago.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go with the 12v/110v compressor fridge, they pull about 3 amps 12v, your solar could handle that. I will have solar but will not depend on it for my needs, the 220amp vehicle alternator and an on board generator will recharge the batteries. I'm going lithium so I'll have less weight and more capacity. I hope to have 800 AH of lithium batteries which equate to about 1400 AH of lead acid type.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want a Webasto Air Top 2000ST Gasoline Heater, mounted under sofa
3 Deep cycle batteries ,inverter, mounted under sofa
Wall Mount Rollover Sofa Bed, behind driver seat
Wall mount fold down bed, height staggered to mount on sofa bed side.
Modular removable kitchen unit
Modular removable W/C with shower.
Maybe a removable rack for plastic storage tubs.
I want to be able to remove kitchen , W/C , fold up beds so I can multi-task the Promaster.
And Ventilation

That's my vision

1 - 7 of 7 Posts