Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is amazing to see all of the different builds; something to fit everyone's needs. I've seen a lot of setups that work for two people or a lot of permanent installs, but I needed something different. This needs to be our second car. It needs to get the kids to school. It needs to replace my truck in hauling stuff. And, it needs to transport four people to the campsite and sleep 4 people. A tall order, but I think the Promaster can do it.

Here's a slide deck I put together that goes over my ideas: Promaster Campervan

Last Friday I picked up the empty starter:

Not quite what I would have ordered, but pretty close:
  • 1500 136" Low Roof Gas
  • Granite Crystal Metallic (really thought I would have to settle for white)
  • Tow Package
  • 6-Way Driver Seat (not passenger as well, unfortunetly)
  • Power Folding/Heated Mirrors
  • DRLs
  • Speed Control
  • Uconnect 5.0
  • Back Up Camera

The big pop-top is currently scheduled to start August 14th at Colorado Camper Van. They are going to install the top, solar, an awning, and a two-battery system.

Before my road trip to Colorado to drop it off, I would like to get the following done:
  • Seats
  • Floor
  • Insulation
  • Windows

The seats and windows are currently in transit, as is some Rat-L-Trap. I've been emailing Hans and will order Thinsulate on Monday. After I get back, I'll be doing walls, rear bed, kitchenette, LPG, heater and final electrical.

I have a spreadsheet going with all the to-do items. It takes a lot to build one of these things!

I've really appreciate all of the knowledge on this forum and have been soaking it up over the last few months. I hope to be able to contribute a bit to the collective knowledge, as well!

-Bill

·
Premium Member
8,833 Posts
Welcome, keep us posted and if we can help ask. You are among as small group here doing such a conversion. We will be following your progress.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! CCV did a great job on the first part of my buildout and the kitchenette they built me is top notch.
I wish they had more time. They can do the pop top in August. To do it all, I would have had to wait until January...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good concept. I have the same size Promaster with a modular setup so I can use it for camping or work. One think I found was that I couldn't get the bed height such that we could sit up in bed and have enough room for bikes underneath. We went for sitting room and built a bike rack for the rear door.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
CRL CR Lawrence Rear Glass Rear Window Installation

Installed rear glass today.

Parts Purchased From: http://www.trucknvans.com/p-180-crl-oem-design-all-glass-van-windows.aspx

Parts Used
  • FW384L - Driver Side Glass
  • FW384R - Passenger Side Glass
  • 1217349 - Urethane Adhesive (Qty 2)
  • 1214006 - Primer

Notes:
  • The primer does not come with a dauber. I used an old cotton baby diaper and seemed to get the job done.
  • Use a lot of tape to make sure you don't scuff the paint beyound where the window covers. I cut the holes out with a jigsaw and when doing the curves, the end of the saw came up over the raised parts.
  • The Urethane is a pain to squeeze out of a manual caulk gun. My forearms where feeling it when I finished!

Install Guide Used:

Pics:

After "dimpling" the pattern and connecting the dots:

Inside view before cutting:

Closeup of the "lip":

Closeup of the dimples:

One cut out. NOTE: I cut everything out with a jigsaw. I would have used more blue tape as I did a scuff outside the area the window will cover on this one when trying to cut the corners.

Two cut out:

Detail of the cut:

Paint de-glossed:

Driver's side installed:

Complete:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today's Update: Two 2-seat Cloth Transit Seats

Purchased from eBay, seller was bobuss05

Install guide used:

The two 2-seat Transit seats are fantastic. I can't believe how heavy these things are. One of the nice things about this pair is how the legs are offset. I set the brackets directly in front of one another and this allows a nice stagger when both facing forward. When you flip the middle row backwards, it makes a perfect "club seating" style. Thanks for Mountain Time for showing that. I wouldn't have thought of it!

The only thing I would have done different is got a 2-seat for the middle and a 3-seat for the rear. Plenty of room and I could have had 7-passenger ability. Oh well!

Here's the final look with both seats forward. The tape in the lower right is where the kitchenette will be:

And here's what's underneath for the rear seats. The fronts are virtually the same:

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Window install looks great. I would suggest some top lock flange nuts on the seat rails for improved pull through strength.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Window install looks great. I would suggest some top lock flange nuts on the seat rails for improved pull through strength.
If they would have had those at the hardware store, I would have got them! Went with M12 bolts and all hardware is 10.9. Passed that through the bar stock, so it would have to do some rather crazy stuff to pull through, IMHO.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for posting the rear door window install info. I've been wanting to do that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today's progress: Driver and Passenger side CRL Windows

Parts Purchased from: http://www.trucknvans.com/p-180-crl-oem-design-all-glass-van-windows.aspx

Parts Used:
  • FW392L (Driver side)
  • FW395R (Passenger side sliding door)

Notes:
  • Make the templates. When doing the driver side window, there would have been a lot of daylight in the upper rear radius if we just cut to the lines on the inside.
  • Cut outside your sharpie line. A little wiggle room is fine and this will save you a lot of grinding time
  • Make sure to crank down the screws on the bracket to snug up the window. It takes a lot of torque to get the window snug
  • OMG it is so much nicer to drive the van with these windows in

Install Guide Used (Thanks cutndry!): http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=366778&postcount=10

Let's start with a final product:

That all started with first making a template per cutndry's instructions:

Making sure it was right:

Applying to the van:

Now with a nice Sharpie line:

And cut:

New hole in a very new van...

Bracket screwed in:

And the final product:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yesterday's fun: The Floor

Parts Used:
  • 1/2" R-Max Polyiso (3 sheets)
  • 1/2" BCX Plywood (3 sheets)

Tools:

Notes:
  • 1/2" Polyiso wasn't in-stock inwhere in town, so had to have it ordered. It came the next day, but be aware it might not be imidiatly available
  • Due to the Transit seat brackets, I wish I would have used 3/4" R-Max. This would have been high enough to cover the non-necessary parts of the brackets with plywood and have the seat connectors slightly recessed to give a flush load floor
  • We could have used 2 sheets of each in the 136", but 3 sheets made it a lot faster and easier

We used some heavy cardboard stock (used to protect wood floors while installing) as template material with the contour gauge and compass to help get all the curves. Transferred that to the R-Max and then cut. We would test fit the R-Max and clean up what was needed until it fit. Then we would use the R-Max as a template for the plywood.

R-Max in:

Plywood down:

To do:

·
Premium Member
8,833 Posts
Think hard about that vinyl plank floor. The stuff expands and contracts a bunch, feels cold on your feet due to conduction even when insulated, is slippery when wet, looks cheap and fake, and generally I don’t like it, so please don't use it. Get some garage floor material like coin floor, or Marmoleum, or even carpet for a warmer more impressive floor. You need so little that cost is not a factor. We got cheap carpet from H-D fit it in and stapled it to hold down and will pull it out when it get worn and use it for a pattern for next time. It is quiet, warm, cleans easily and CHEAP. Don’t run any of this under your cabinets. See: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=282361&postcount=102

For product choices see:
https://www.garageflooringllc.com/coin-pattern-garage-floor-protection/ or http://www.homedepot.com/s/coin%20flooring?NCNI-5
http://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-gl...ucts/marmoleum-sheet/marmoleum-marbled/bwj8jm or http://www.homedepot.com/p/Marmoleu...ate-Flooring-6-78-sq-ft-case-333423/301607301
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Thorough...pet-1080-sq-ft-Roll-EF286-1858-1200/206671772

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm. I really like the look of the current vinyl plank. Expanding/contracting would concern me. With kids and a dog, carpet just isn't an option as it would be a mess by the end of a weekend. Coin floor just isn't a look I want. So, I'll look into Marmoleum. I really liked that the vinyl plank is waterproof. Well, I've got a month to research!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts