Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The fan is unresponsive

First time it stopped working, changing the key pad fixed it
Worked for a few months, then stopped working again.

Maxxair customer service insisted on voltage issues, so I installed a voltage regulator which puts out a constant 12.4v, and replaced the circuit board AND keypad. Still the same issue.

One beep when power is connected (fuse-on), but no response when clicking the keypad buttons...

Is it possible the circuit board and/or keypad they sent me is already defective?

EDIT: This is the regulator I'm using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WZK5XQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm currently working on a project to upgrade these fans to a quality ball bearing, brushless motor, and replace the circuit card with a custom reliable one that provides closed-loop drive to the motor and has modern user interface features that people expect. I've been searching for defective circuit boards that I can measure for the new design, and would be willing to pay shipping and return them when done. Let me know if you might be interested or able to help. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm currently working on a project to upgrade these fans to a quality ball bearing, brushless motor, and replace the circuit card with a custom reliable one that provides closed-loop drive to the motor and has modern user interface features that people expect. I've been searching for defective circuit boards that I can measure for the new design, and would be willing to pay shipping and return them when done. Let me know if you might be interested or able to help. Thanks!
i do have an extra circuit board “defective I think….”, I’d be willing to help out

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey, thanks! Please PM me, and I can email you a USPS label so you won't have to pay postage. Also, I know more about the 7000-series fans, and was hoping that the 5000/6000-series has the same size circuit boards (or at least the same 14" opening). If you happen to know, I'd be glad to know myself.

i do have an extra circuit board “defective I think….”, I’d be willing to help out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks! Please PM me, and I can email you a USPS label so you won't have to pay postage. Also, I know more about the 7000-series fans, and was hoping that the 5000/6000-series has the same size circuit boards (or at least the same 14" opening). If you happen to know, I'd be glad to know myself.
the long edges measured about 3 1/4 inches by 3 & 5/16

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
That looks quite the same in size and shape, but missing components used on the models with auto-opening motors. FWIW, the custom board I'm working on would be able to upgrade some models because the auto-open motor driver will be included, there will be digital speed control and reversing, and also full remote setup and operation will be featured.

the long edges measured about 3 1/4 inches by 3 & 5/16

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks quite the same in size and shape, but missing components used on the models with auto-opening motors. FWIW, the custom board I'm working on would be able to upgrade some models because the auto-open motor driver will be included, there will be digital speed control and reversing, and also full remote setup and operation will be featured.
This is the replacement they sent me

which still has the same issue , beeps after successful power cycle, but no button response

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
As I recall, there is also another circuit board for the switches. Any chance that one has a problem? Also, are there any parts on the back side of what you're holding in the photo?

This is the replacement they sent me

which still has the same issue , beeps after successful power cycle, but no button response

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
468 Posts
Sorry, I know that you asked me for this once before. I still have my old board if you still want it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So...playing around and learning about electricity, I learned about MOSFETS. I had a feeling so I looked at the board for this fan and noticed a MOSFET part IRF3205PbF.

Upon inspection, the pins looked really corroded, and it was almost bonded/melted to the resistor next to it.

I attempted to test this and I think it's bad...

With my multimeter in diode test mode, I'm getting a reading from drain to source after closing the gate.

So I wonder 1) if I'm testing it correctly, and 2) if so maybe that's the culprit ?

I still have so much to learn....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Anyone happen to have access to a circuit board for a Maxxfan that has the power open/close feature?

I'm reverse engineering the Puan circuit design, and missing the value of a resistor on the board. Just need the numbers printed on the back of the resistor at location R24 (it's near the opto-coupler labelled U2 on the component side).

I'm close to posting the schematic diagram for their latest "universal" control board in hopes in might help with repairs and modifications.

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts