Ram Promaster Forum banner

Broke Down, Transmission stuck in Neutral

11K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  HVAC1957 
#1 ·
I was going down the highway about 65 mph. Came to a stop and warning light came on to service transmission. I shut the engine off on the side of the road. I start it back up and now it is stuck in neutral. Cannot get it out of N now. On a road trip and currently on the side of the road in Wyoming waiting on a tow truck to take it to the closest Dodge dealer which is 112 miles from where I am. I already called that dealer and they said they do have a mechanic there that does work on the diesel ProMasters and is very familiar with them. Said since our situation is urgent, they will work on it right away.

I have a 2015 Ram PM 2500 136" High Top Eco Diesel, auto/manual transmission. 110k miles.

#7 ·
The same thing happened to me in July while on a trip. The problem ended up being the shift actuator and it took about 3 weeks to get the part, was told that the part was on “extreme back order”. Once replaced, runs great again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
We're going through the same issue stuck in Neutral with our 2014 2500 Diesel 54K miles. Dealership replaced the shifter assembly $1,200 to fix the main issue, but now saying the transmission suffered damages and either needs to be replaced $7,000 or repaired $4,300. How much did you end up paying?

#12 ·
First, sorry to hear about your situation. I feel your pain. We’re still in the throes of a seemingly never ending cycle of transmission trauma. Based on your mileage you still should be under the powertrain warranty, yes? If no, and short of any other complicating issues, I would press FCA on this early and often. The more we do the less they can deny that they have a problem. In my dealings with them they’ve tried to act like this a rarity. While that may be so over the total number of PMs on the road the diesel is another story. Cause no harm, take no sh*t.

#11 ·
About $300. Just had to bleed the “clutch” fluid and re fill and replace the missing resovoir cap that rattled off while on some rough roads. It drives as good as new now. The transmission computer also had to be reflashed afterwards before it would operate at all again too.

#16 ·
I have a 2015 Promaster 3500 3.0L Ecodiesel with the automated manual transmission.

I drove 150miles (currently at 174,000) on friday and while exiting into a rest area and just coasting the Service Transmission message popped up as well as the engine code. No real odd noises it did lurch a bit while downshifting.

I let it sit for an hour and everything cleared itself. drove around the lot perfectly fine shifted normal no codes no grinding or anything. then got back on the highway and it did it again at 60mph. So i had it towed to be safe

Any thoughts?

#18 ·
I have a 2015 Promaster 3500 3.0L Ecodiesel with the automated manual transmission.

I drove 150miles (currently at 174,000) on friday and while exiting into a rest area and just coasting the Service Transmission message popped up as well as the engine code. No real odd noises it did lurch a bit while downshifting.

I let it sit for an hour and everything cleared itself. drove around the lot perfectly fine shifted normal no codes no grinding or anything. then got back on the highway and it did it again at 60mph. So i had it towed to be safe

Any thoughts?
Have you had any maintenance performed on actuator and transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.