Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as i like working on my vehicles...it turns out that mosquitos enjoy my company more....i shall post the rears tommorow

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
I haven't got my PM yet so don't know what the OEM brakes are like from a component point of view.

I see you're using slotted and vented rotors. Are these an improvement over stock?

I'm all for better braking. But if Dodge designed the brakes to stop a full load, then I'm somewhat comforted in that my light camperization (is that word?) should not come close to even half the cargo capacity. So presumably I'm fine with stock. [Forum members, let me know if your experience has been otherwise.]

Having said that, as a current owner of a 2008-2013 Dodge Carvan, I have personally witnessed how Dodge can completely underspec a front braking system. It took them 5 years to upgrade the brakes on the 5th Gen Caravans. Us 2008-2013 owners had to suffer from substandard performance and undersized rotors that would for sure warp in no time at all after replacement with new.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Our brakes are fine. Replace with stock and you’ll be stopping.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
The brakes on the Promaster are very robust and easy to replace. You could do the fronts in less than 2 hours with no skills at all!

I’m doing my rears after almost 100k miles next week and they are still not worn out yet!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock is fine....we load and run our vehicles hard...often load to the max 3500lbs of freight so i look for any advantage i can find...these kits come complete and the promaster is easy to work on.....i am just a magnet for mosquitos and it was miserable.....these are dustless (we shall see) and as we all know the stock brakes are dusty....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just did front and rears at 40k miles because the old pads had worn down to the wire which triggered the service brake pads light. Easy enough to do. It's nice not having the squeaky brakes anymore.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I just did front and rears at 40k miles because the old pads had worn down to the wire which triggered the service brake pads light. Easy enough to do. It's nice not having the squeaky brakes anymore.
What year is your van? Trying to figure out if you have original 2014 brakes, or updated pads that came in 2015 sometime

I have original 2014 pads. I’m hard on brakes. Deep grooves on rotors, but 50% pad life at 56,000 miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What year is your van? Trying to figure out if you have original 2014 brakes, or updated pads that came in 2015 sometime

I have original 2014 pads. I’m hard on brakes. Deep grooves on rotors, but 50% pad life at 56,000 miles.
Mine's a 2015. Before changing pads I don't think I ever came to a stop without squeaking.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have had to do a few hard stops in mine over the years. Once they saved me from a collision. The traction control helped too. I have always been very impressed with Brembo brakes. The light squealing doesn't bother me since they work so well when I need them.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
494 Posts
After years of driving with marginal brakes in S10 Blazers and my old half ton 4x4 Suburban I am very happy with the brakes in my 17 2500 159 hi top. Wonderful brakes.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,
Where did you get your squeak free pads from?

Gary

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Squeak free , dust free , feel very strong .......for 340$ for both sets.....not bad...now comes the test of time....power stop part num k 7304-36....

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
I got mine last year from amazon. No squeaks or dust. Front pads & rotors

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RKQLIA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0156IW1BG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I just ordered rear pads and rotors but haven’t reviewed them yet

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JDVQBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
I have had to do a few hard stops in mine over the years. Once they saved me from a collision. The traction control helped too. I have always been very impressed with Brembo brakes. The light squealing doesn't bother me since they work so well when I need them.
Interesting review and observation. My only experience with the PM's brakes is from test driving one and a Ford Transit back to back (same afternoon).

Honestly, I felt that the Transit's brakes were better. A smoother and more confidence-inspiring initial bite. Where as the PM's brakes bit just a tad (milliseconds) later. Both with no load and just me and my wife on board.

Not likely a big deal. I read an online review where the reviewer observed the same thing. There were differences of bigger importance that swayed me to the PM.

One thing though, the PM demo van didn't make any brake squeal that I heard.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The brakes on the Promaster are very robust and easy to replace. You could do the fronts in less than 2 hours with no skills at all!

I’m doing my rears after almost 100k miles next week and they are still not worn out yet!
While I think that I have some skills, I have no experience performing brake replacement. Is there a simple guide somewhere in the forum for replacing the fronts? I didn't find one.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
Yes, it’s been well documented by several people, including me. I’ll try and find the link for you.

Sorry I can’t find them either. Some of the older threads get archived and that may be the problem. The only odd tool you need is a 14mm Allen wrench as I recall otherwise the usual set of ½’’ 0r even ⅜" drive metric sockets is all you need. I would use a 1/2" drive personally. You might want to pick up a small tube of silicon brake grease because they usually don’t give you enough white the new pads & hardware. There is nothing unusual about them.

You might want to remove a wheel and look at them first to see what you need for tools. A good mechanic might be willing to do the labor for $100 - $150 that’s all it’s worth max if you don’t think you can do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts