Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a VERY steep paved driveway, and our PM still has less than 1,000 km on it and virtually no weight in the back yet. So far, every time we go down the driveway, the left rear brake locks up when the brakes are applied. Turning off the ESC makes no difference. It's never locked up any other time. Should we give it some more time (break in), or should we have it looked at?

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
How close to your driveway is the dealer or how close to the dealer is there a comparable road to replicate this for them? One thing I hate about all the service managers I have dealt with is if they cannot see it happening- it didn’t happen! Video of this to take to them? They can inspect or disassemble that brake but unless they see something (and they probably won’t) what’s to fix? I have even had them tell me “That can’t happen” which is another way to say “You are lying!” If that happens I somewhat resemble a Hanna-Barbera cartoon character ricocheting off the walls.
I’d try a few emergency like experiments to see it it is a greater problem. Then decide.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How close to your driveway is the dealer or how close to the dealer is there a comparable road to replicate this for them? One thing I hate about all the service managers I have dealt with is if they cannot see it happening- it didn’t happen! Video of this to take to them? They can inspect or disassemble that brake but unless they see something (and they probably won’t) what’s to fix? I have even had them tell me “That can’t happen” which is another way to say “You are lying!” If that happens I somewhat resemble a Hanna-Barbera cartoon character ricocheting off the walls.
I’d try a few emergency like experiments to see it it is a greater problem. Then decide.
I remember Ricochet Rabbit ... bing, bing, bing! I'm very familiar with the "If we can't replicate it, it didn't happen" shtick. The dealer is an hour away, and I doubt we could find a road this steep near them. Our driveway is San Francisco/Seattle crazy-steep. I've tried a semi-panic stop with no luck. I'll have to batten down the hatches and try full-panic. We have to do something before we wear out that one tire. We can't exactly avoid our own driveway.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the brake locking on a steep curve ?
Yes, it's the rear wheel on the inside of the curve. The van has to make a sharp turn onto the driveway from its parking place at the top, and then the driveway continues to curve in that same direction. The whole thing resembles a tight downhill switchback. This is the first vehicle to have a problem with it. Our Ford E350 van (138" WB w/ABS) never had a problem. Since you asked, I take it there is an explanation for it. Is it fixable?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have no idea if there is a problem or if that is normal , but that wheel might be getting more weight than normal or less weight causing it to lock up

·
Registered
171 Posts
At very low speeds the ABS system should not be active in normal driving conditions.
That is done since differences of a vehicle with and without ABS are minimal and not having ABS is safer if, for any reason, ABS doesn't work 100% as programmed.

Your Ford E350 since its rear traction could not lock in normal conditions the rear internal wheel.

Another cause could be braking unbalance, but it would occur also in other conditions.

What happens if You put some weight on the rear?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I can do some testing with added weight next time I have a chance. Not only are we losing rubber, but rocks embedded in the tread are scratching the s^#% out of the driveway. Eventually we'll have house batteries and water tanks over the rear axle. Hopefully that will make things better, not worse.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
535 Posts
I have two very steep and sharp downhill corners on our driveway, the same thing is happening with my 2500 HT 159 when I am empty.
Without weight in the cargo area the backend is very light and the frame is very stiff. You just have no weight on the one side. Nothing wrong with the brakes and certainly nothing the dealer can change.
If the suspension was softer it would not happen but then it would handle like crap.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do you have enough width in the driveway to swing just a little bit wider? Perhaps a wider radius would help(?).

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have two very steep and sharp downhill corners on our driveway, the same thing is happening with my 2500 HT 159 when I am empty.
Without weight in the cargo area the backend is very light and the frame is very stiff. You just have no weight on the one side. Nothing wrong with the brakes and certainly nothing the dealer can change.
If the suspension was softer it would not happen but then it would handle like crap.
Thanks! Good to hear from someone with the same experience, even if it's not the best news. I guess we'll just wait to see if it goes away once we have house batteries and water back there.

Do you have enough width in the driveway to swing just a little bit wider? Perhaps a wider radius would help(?).
We have an evil truck-eating ditch that constantly whispers "come on, swing just a little bit wider" >:D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks! Good to hear from someone with the same experience, even if it's not the best news. I guess we'll just wait to see if it goes away once we have house batteries and water back there.

We have an evil truck-eating ditch that constantly whispers "come on, swing just a little bit wider" >:D
Going uphill when leaving I get the same thing with the front end. A little limited slip shuffle then the diff locks up and away we go. Front spins a little bit more when the fuel tank is low.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It just occurred to me that part of my problem could be the HD rear stabilizer working against an empty van. It's a tight banked curve. The stabilizer could be holding the axle up on the inside. More weight may still fix it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It just occurred to me that part of my problem could be the HD rear stabilizer working against an empty van. It's a tight banked curve. The stabilizer could be holding the axle up on the inside. More weight may still fix it.
With 2 dirt bikes in the back It sticks a bit better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts