Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
source and fix?

After reading through this forum I am happy to hear that I am not the only person with this brake problem. It is so loud! SO embarrassing! Dealer made me feel like I’m the only one and I’m crazy. They said they can’t fix it but will call me back. Been in there twice now. I’ve tried to fix myself but now I’m lost. So what is the source? The forum confused me more. At first I thought it was the contact between the calipers and back of the pad. Some say that. Some say it’s the surface of the pad to the rotor (I tend to think that’s it). I sprayed the back of pads with sticky stuff and thought I fixed it. Didn’t work long, and figured my temporary fix came from just taking everything off and cleaning it. I’ve noticed if I slightly press the brake pedal for about ¼ mile while driving…it stops with no noise….every time. So that’s why I think it’s the pad surface. Maybe heating it up gives a temporary fix. Anybody know for sure how to fix this?

Great Powerful brakes with advertised Long Extended life pads, I'll take em. Ford has had some vehicles in the past needing brake pads every 25-30k miles. Nothing more annoying than needing brake pads replaced so quickly, especially for city stop n go drivers. The squeal is pre set in there from the brake pad manufacture, a way to get us annoyed because they are upset they will not be selling pads as frequently as they would like , haha!

I wonder if the Ducato in Europe has this brake squeal problem. Anybody knows?
I live in Italy, where there are many many Ducato vans (and Boxer/Jumper) but not often You notice brake squeal.

Fiat Ducato discs nominal size is front 280 mm (11") or 300 mm (11.8") for Ducato Maxi version, rear 280 mm.

Does I remember well or Ram Promaster has bigger discs? Did Ram changed diameters in last version?

I live in Italy, where there are many many Ducato vans (and Boxer/Jumper) but not often you notice brake squeal.
I did a little survey on a French and UK forums and asked the question to a fellow Italian of yours. So far, I am getting pretty much your input.

So, the cure would be very simple, forget the North-American "upgrade" just give us the brakes used in Europe. I mean, if it's good for the Alps and the Pyrenees, it must be good for here. But, hey, what do I know.

Got good news from my dealer this morning on the phone. My PM is ready to go but not completely serviced (head rest parts still missing). Wasn't really surprised, but I wish they learned to check for part availability before giving appointments.

But he told me a good news, he said that he has a service bulletin from Chrysler about the brake squeal problem, seams that they are working on it. He will print it for me, I'll post it later.

The calipers on my 2013 Ducato are Bosh branded. I think only the bigger Ducato Maxi (3500 and 4000 kg) has the same Brembo calipers of the Ram Promaster.
I had the squealing too, but for a short period. I used the Wurth product, but the dealer said me that the noise will resolve by itself as well of the rear suspension bushing noise.
Now I have 60000 km on it and there are no noises at all.

So here's how the MOPAR bulletin reads:

STAR Case

Case number: S1405000010
Vehicle Issue: Brake squeal while applying brakes

Discussion:

Do NOT replace brake pads for brake squeal concerns. First eliminate all other possible causes and contributing factors for brake noise by following the detailed service procedures available in (web link info given here). If the brake squeal concern is determined to be caused by the brake pads, do not perform any repairs.

Contact STAR and open a Technical Assistance Ticket for the complain.

Example: your narrative should read:

Brake squeal caused by brake pads - Please notify us when the update is available. "The ticket will be opened and closed". You will be notified when an update is available. The repair solution for this concern is currently under engineering investigation.
I like the fact that they wrote "You will be notified when an update is available". They could have written: "You will be notified if an update becomes available".

So, there is hope that we may live in a quiet world, some day. :)

It sounds like there will be no recall. But if you complain, it's noted, and only those people get new pads if they figure out something better.

But members of this forum will know about the new pads >:D

The ones that get new pads wil get pads that will last Half the mileage but will be quiet. Im only speculating that will be the cure.

Im keeping my pads :)
Here's what a guy from UK replied on my World Wide Web Investigation on the brake squeal:

"Mine did it from new, i believe it's the compound used, but I lived with it, they lasted 160,000 miles, then put Lucas trw pads in, brill no squeak but they lasted 40,000 miles"

;)

Lol!!! I was on the right track with a good guess
:)
You were only half right.

Your speculated that newer pads (softer) would last half the millage of the current ones. It is actually one quarter of the millage, according to the UK guy. ;)

My solution for quiet and long lasting brakes: re-introduce Asbestos for the pads >:D

Well I think a brand new trucks brakes should not sound like the rotors are grinding and screeching on a caliper lol..... I took the truck in for this issue twice now and my service advisor told me that the pad material was not designed for the weight a lot of us are pulling around. He explained that ram is well aware of the issue and they are working on it. Who knows if we will get new pads out of it. Probably not.

Well I think a brand new trucks brakes should not sound like the rotors are grinding and screeching on a caliper lol..... I took the truck in for this issue twice now and my service advisor told me that the pad material was not designed for the weight a lot of us are pulling around. He explained that ram is well aware of the issue and they are working on it. Who knows if we will get new pads out of it. Probably not.
If anything the brake pads are over designed and possibly too hard for what we need! Or Americans are use to. Almost all heavy duty truck (semis and large box trucks) have squeaky, noisy brakes. It's a side effect of very aggresive durable pads. I have a track car that I change the pads on after every other track day and the common problem of aggresive compounds is noise. But, the noisier the pad the longer they last! It's a compromise. If you want to drive something with under designed pads try my old GMC Savana! The pads only lasted 20,000 miles. I got pretty good at changing them though. What a pain in the :mad::mad:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.