Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Chrysler Ram finally has a fix for the squeaking brakes

Have been working with the Chrysler case manager about the brake squeak for a year--said the Chrysler engineers were working on a fix. Finally got the word that the parts were in. I took in my low roof 1500, 136 wb, for the break repair along with running light repair, Connect fix, back door rattle, and spare tire carrier. All were fixed--no squeak, no charge

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have been working with the Chrysler case manager about the brake squeak for a year--said the Chrysler engineers were working on a fix. Finally got the word that the parts were in. I took in my low roof 1500, 136 wb, for the break repair along with running light repair, Connect fix, back door rattle, and spare tire carrier. All were fixed--no squeak, no charge
That's great to hear...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mine was quiet for the first 1800 miles, now they squeal. 2015 2500 159"
Sounds familiar. Rolled past 1300 miles last weekend. Brakes are just starting to occasionally squeak a little bit at slow speeds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Please share more info on what was done to your brakes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
would like to know too!

Brake squeal is TERRIBLE! Have heads turning at traffic lights as I step on brake. Now ashamed to be driving this vehicle.

Without this fixed by Chrysler, I am not recommending anyone buy a Promaster. Period.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
Have you done the CRC fix? If not it's hard to sympathize with anyone who hasn't. It has been very well documented here many times and it does work! You can also simply buy new pads.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
would like to know too!

Brake squeal is TERRIBLE! Have heads turning at traffic lights as I step on brake. Now ashamed to be driving this vehicle.

Without this fixed by Chrysler, I am not recommending anyone buy a Promaster. Period.
To reject a vehicle for something you or your local mechanic, or the dealer can fix in 1 hour with a product that costs $10 and will last your lifetime seems an overreaction to me. Others have said this too, so this is not a criticism of you but an opportunity to point out to everyone how simple a fix this is. The product is made by CRC and was developed for this common problem. It is a rubbery liquid to paint the backs of the brake pads with and they then don't chatter violently which makes the noise. A mechanic-friend does this to all pads he replaces as a preventative to avoid call backs on work he does.

·
Registered
71 Posts
you've been making comments and you haven't even owned or driven the vehicle. Drive it for 10,000 miles and see if you feel the same way

A new vehicle should not have to be taken into the shop for a few hundred dollar repair - that's piss poor engineering and cust svc by Chrysler. Maybe serves us right for buying a USA branded vehicle - Never had this trouble with any MB, Toyota, Honda.

·
Registered
604 Posts
A new vehicle should not have to be taken into the shop for a few hundred dollar repair - that's piss poor engineering and cust svc by Chrysler. Maybe serves us right for buying a USA branded vehicle - Never had this trouble with any MB, Toyota, Honda.
Have to agree...

If they can't sell a set of quiet brakes, like most every other vehicle on the roads today, what else has FCA not done right?

Yea, everybodies got an excuse or story... "my vehicle did this or that", blah, blah, blah... but it's pretty butt-sorry they couldn't do better, letting a vehicle go to market like this.

If nothing else it's pretty bad advertising for FCA when somebody looks at a PM and wonders why they're so loud. You'd figure thed'y want to make good and replace them all for that alone.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
My brakes have never squealed so bad I wanted to complain about it. I do hear it occasionally but not so much anymore. They do stop the van with authority and for that I am happy.

I have over 15000 miles on a 2014 159 3500.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
A bottle of CRC is under $10 and I would expect most dealers wouldn't charge if you asked them to do it. You can bitch all you want and listen to squeeky brakes or you can do something about it. Many people here have told you the solution the rest is up to you.

Not much more anyone can do to help you unless you want one of us to come over and do it for you.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
Is that an offer? >:D

Ed

ps. Mine have stopped squealing at 3500 miles, perhaps for the summer... time will tell!
How much beer do you have? Take a trip to NH and I will help YOU do it and even share my CRC with you:D

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
KOV, we have done all we can here I think. I am feeling hurt as my suggestions for a cure got me criticized for not having bought my van earlier and driven it more! Its as though I never dealt with this on any other vehicle. I guess I'll take my little container with the brush in the red goop and curb my help on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
you've been making comments and you haven't even owned or driven the vehicle. Drive it for 10,000 miles and see if you feel the same way

Your cup is half full kind of person.
Think long and hard about MB,Toyota and Honda. And the statement about piss
poor engineering.(They all had there share).
I go out of my way to help you on a thread. When someone makes a suggestion in trying to fill your cup. You went and spilled it.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
KOV, we have done all we can here I think. I am feeling hurt as my suggestions for a cure got me criticized for not having bought my van earlier and driven it more! Its as though I never dealt with this on any other vehicle. I guess I'll take my little container with the brush in the red goop and curb my help on this one.
Yes RD, you are correct. As the old saying goes "You can lead the horse to water but if he doesn't want to drink it he will still squeek when you get back on him" (or something like that).

All we can do us try and help each other with our past experiences. If someone is only interesting in complaining and not helping that is their prerogative.

It's time to move past this subject as the solution has been offered time and time again and anyone who does a simple search will discover it. Those that do not want squeeky brakes will do the fix those that prefer to complain, will!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2015 high top 2500 with 159"wb. Only my right rear squeals and told by dealer and another brake shop is ok. Dealer said there is a recall on front pads but not rear and squeals cause they are hard. So I am going to replace my rears with softer pads. I only have 10000 miles on but is really annoying.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts