Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having brakes squeal? I have to brake hard to stop squeal. On gravel roads a fair bit but my other vehicles are ok. What's the fix? North American pads?( softer) glue pads to calipers?

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been racing motorcycles for 30 years. If the OEM pads that are squeaking are made by Ferodo, that would explain everything to me. I've had serious issues every time I've tried to use them. Switching to another brand solved the problem every time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been racing motorcycles for 30 years. If the OEM pads that are squeaking are made by Ferodo, that would explain everything to me. I've had serious issues every time I've tried to use them. Switching to another brand solved the problem every time.
Funny that you mention Ferodo racing pads. I've had issues using them in my race car as well. Deposits causing rotor warpage with one compound, and the other compound wearing quickly and very not tolerant of heat. Switching brands/compounds required getting new rotors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Funny that you mention Ferodo racing pads. I've had issues using them in my race car as well. Deposits causing rotor warpage with one compound, and the other compound wearing quickly and very not tolerant of heat. Switching brands/compounds required getting new rotors.
Do the rotors need to be replaced or just resurfaced? I am still searching for different pads.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Just like the suspension bushing squeaks, the brake squeaks stopped after a while, roughly after 2000 miles.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The calipers, rotors & pads are supplied by Brembo.

http://bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_Disc_Catalogue/Catalogue_Search.aspx?SearchMode=Model&IsResult=True&SearchBrand=FIAT&SearchModel=DUCATO Box (250) 07/06 - ->&SearchAssemblySide=Both&SearchCatalogueBrand=Brembo

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do the rotors need to be replaced or just resurfaced? I am still searching for different pads.
It depends on how many miles they have on them, how bad the deposits are, etc. If you are getting any pulsing through the brakes when coming to a stop, I would replace them, as they likely have some amount of warpage and/or really bad deposits causing the pulsing. If not, it is likely that they could be very lightly turned, enough to get a clean surface, and just replace the pads. Hopefully you can find a different compound.

On another thought, companies like Carbotech and Porterfield are pretty amenable to making pads for new applications - maybe someone could work with them and a group buy could be done?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice find. So it looks like there are 2 different compounds for the front, and one for the rear from Brembo, and Ferodo has 2 compounds for each. Assuming that Brembo is the OEM supplier for the ProMaster, Ferodo may be the only aftermarket option available at this point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It depends on how many miles they have on them, how bad the deposits are, etc. If you are getting any pulsing through the brakes when coming to a stop, I would replace them, as they likely have some amount of warpage and/or really bad deposits causing the pulsing. If not, it is likely that they could be very lightly turned, enough to get a clean surface, and just replace the pads. Hopefully you can find a different compound.

On another thought, companies like Carbotech and Porterfield are pretty amenable to making pads for new applications - maybe someone could work with them and a group buy could be done?
Thanks for the follow up, I shot an email to Brembo and contacted Ram customer care, Ram is still supposedly working on a fix for the problem.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Nice find. So it looks like there are 2 different compounds for the front, and one for the rear from Brembo, and Ferodo has 2 compounds for each. Assuming that Brembo is the OEM supplier for the ProMaster, Ferodo may be the only aftermarket option available at this point.
I'm not positive but it looks like there are 4 compounds for the front and a single one for the rear. I'm looking at the 3.0 at the bottom of the page as that would most likely match the American unit. The RAM website for the Promaster says right on the front page that the brakes are supplied by Brembo.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not positive but it looks like there are 4 compounds for the front and a single one for the rear. I'm looking at the 3.0 at the bottom of the page as that would most likely match the American unit. The RAM website for the Promaster says right on the front page that the brakes are supplied by Brembo.
It looks like there are two different pad heights (and two compounds, for a total of four front pads), so those must be fitments for two different caliper sizes, see here:
http://bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_Disc_Catalogue/Catalogue_Detail.aspx?ApplicationIDMaster=197164

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just purchased my 2014 159wb, I'm going on 28xx miles and the breaks are still squeaking, I was looking around on the site and saw that there was some "red" paste that you put around the pads, and its "supposed" to stop the squeaking... The noise gets to the point that people give me that "time for a break change buddy" look when i come to a stop

1 - 20 of 124 Posts