Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of my brakes squeaking. Did not think it was the pad friction material but rather the back of the pad against the caliper. Removed 1 wheel at a time, took 1 pin out of the caliper then pivoted caliper out of the way, removed the pads and coated the back of the pads with Permatex Disc Brake Quiet. Reassembled everything. NO more squeak AT ALL. Both front and back took less than 2 hours.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good info! Are you the first person to try this?
Ive been test driving Promasters for a few days now and the dealers tell me the newer ones dont squeak. We'll see.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good info! Are you the first person to try this?
Ive been test driving Promasters for a few days now and the dealers tell me the newer ones dont squeak. We'll see.
I got mine about 3 weeks ago and the brakes groan but hasn't really squeaked yet. There's a lot of black brake dust covering the aluminum rims though. Going to have to wash them every week to keep them looking clean. And that's with 180km's on the odometer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I have been getting a lot of that black brake dust from day one also. Luckily the aluminum wheel are easy to clean.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Got tired of my brakes squeaking. Did not think it was the pad friction material but rather the back of the pad against the caliper. Removed 1 wheel at a time, took 1 pin out of the caliper then pivoted caliper out of the way, removed the pads and coated the back of the pads with Permatex Disc Brake Quiet. Reassembled everything. NO more squeak AT ALL. Both front and back took less than 2 hours.

This is how history is made!

But too bad you didn't immortalize this great discovery with a few pictures, mind doing it again? ;) ;) ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
I asked my dealer about this a few days ago and they told me "Chrysler is working on solution!"

What absolute nonsense. It's hard to believe they would release a vehicle with squeaky brakes in this day and age. Obviously it is caused by the composition of the brake pads. Cleaning, etc may cure the problem for a while but I think totally new pads with a different composition is the real cure. I suspect Chrysler is hoping this problem will just cure itself eventually when all the squeaky pads get used up and or worn out!

·
Registered
164 Posts
When you took the pads off was there a shim on the back of the pad? I see that Advanced Auto Parts has a few levels of brake pads to replace the stock pads and their anti-squeal shims are multi layered for what they call "ultimate quietness"

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have over 11000 miles on my Promaster 1500 bought last December. Brakes squeaked intermittently for a couple of months but eventually stopped.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was no shim on the back of the pads. I don't think it is the pad composition. I have done this on another car a couple of years ago and the squeak never came back. { But too bad you didn't immortalize this great discovery with a few pictures, mind doing it again? } sure in about 50,000 miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Squeeky Brakes

Just bought a 2014 Promaster and noticed the brakes squeek. Shouldn't this be covered under the warranty and the dealers must fix them? Also, if they are recalling Promaster for brake hoses, do we have to wait until we receive a notice?

·
Registered
181 Posts
With regard to the brake-hose recall, you shouldn't expect to get a recall notice. Assuming you took delivery of it recently, it was either not in the range of affected serial numbers, or it was but was fixed prior to delivery. Once any safety-related recall goes out to dealers, they are not allowed to sell in-stock units without fixing them first.

With regard to the brake squeak, go ahead and complain to your dealer. It protects your interests to complain earlier than later. Sometimes dealers will try to get you off their backs by calling brake noises "normal." Be prepared to be persistent. It's not a safety issue, but you deserve to be satisfied with a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine squeal like crazy all the way to a stop changing pitch with the brake pressure.
This Friday they will replace the spare tire crank assembly and check the brakes, and a potential recall on the wiring in the battery area.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
My brakes gave me a break!

Had a bit of squeaking when I got my PM, then it stopped completely after 2,000 or so.

Came back real strong when I got in The Gorge in June, where it is hot and dry. The problem vanished completely last week.

Just can't explain that one out

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Going to do what jmt did. I am sure it will go through that down the road.
The liners are to soft and wimpy. And will check for repacements.

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
I used the CRC anti squeal on mine as recommended in another thread. So far in about 4k miles they only squeal a tiny bit on days when then temp is over 85°f and I'm pleased with the results.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brakes

This from Chrysler case manager: "Regarding the noisy brake concerns on your ProMaster vehicle. Here is the most recent update received from Chrysler Engineering addressing the brake issue and for the bushings issue: The new materials for the Rear Brake pads have been tested and results show significant improvement. The Front brake pad materials are still being tested and are not yet scheduled for release. I will give you updated information as we receive it. We are waiting for the part numbers to be released. Thank you again for your patience in this matter. I will update you again as soon as I have any new information from engineering. Have a great day,"

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
This from Chrysler case manager: "Regarding the noisy brake concerns on your ProMaster vehicle. Here is the most recent update received from Chrysler Engineering addressing the brake issue and for the bushings issue: The new materials for the Rear Brake pads have been tested and results show significant improvement. The Front brake pad materials are still being tested and are not yet scheduled for release. I will give you updated information as we receive it. We are waiting for the part numbers to be released. Thank you again for your patience in this matter. I will update you again as soon as I have any new information from engineering. Have a great day,"
Thank you very much for the update, Doc. At least, they are admitting that there is a problem and are working on it.

My brakes squeak again, after 2 weeks of brake break. It seams that they squeak real bad between 84 and 94 degres. Cooler or warmer, they don't. Strange.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts