Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long are you guys getting out of your brakes? Took mine in for several warranty issues including the squealing and they told me I need new brakes front and rear and rotors are grooved pretty bad! Only 32,000 miles, not warranty!

·
Registered
427 Posts
This depends very strongly on driving habits. I've gone as much as 180,000 km on a set of brakes on other vehicles. This will be all over the map ... city driving, mountain driving while hauling heavy loads, etc will hurt, lots of motorway driving without much use of the brakes will obviously help. A forward-thinking driving pattern in which the driver looks well up the road to anticipate slowdowns in an effort to not use the brakes more than necessary will use both less brakes and less fuel ...

·
Registered
99 Posts
How long are you guys getting out of your brakes? Took mine in for several warranty issues including the squealing and they told me I need new brakes front and rear and rotors are grooved pretty bad! Only 32,000 miles, not warranty!

I'd take it elsewhere for a 2nd opinion (Or have a look for yourself). Unless your use of the vehicle is unusual it's not normal to be worn down to the rotors in only 32k miles (Especially on the rears).

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have 59k on mine and they have a lot of pad left? I'd get a second opinion? There is a light on the dash to inform you when the pads are almost worn out. Has that came on?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 59k on mine and they have a lot of pad left? I'd get a second opinion? There is a light on the dash to inform you when the pads are almost worn out. Has that came on?
Have not seen the light...I get a low brake fluid warning in the display when I come to a stop going downhill. Master cylinder is between the min and max lines... Seemed to have plenty of meat on the pads last tire rotation and rotors were fine... Just makes me mad knowing of all the brake complaints this is what they come up with!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I filled my master cylinder to the top to resolve the low brake fluid light. Mine was filled to the top from the factory but as the pads wear the brake fluid gets moved to the calipers.

If you look at all the warning lights on the dash when you start you'll see the brake wear light. It's also in the owners manual. That brake pads have wires that will ground out on the disk and illuminate the dash light when they need replacement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My brake pad warning light came on. I have 39500 miles on 3500 pm 159 wb. I always run between 8 and 9 k gvw. I was hoping to get at least 75k. I drive city, country, beltway driving so a lot of stop and go. I hear the rotors and pads are expensive. I will find out soon.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
There are lots of pads on Amazon including major brands like Warner. I have never replaced a rotor with the first pad change but you may need to.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...rake+pads&sprefix=Ram+Promaster+brake,aps,169

Same thing for Rotors but no major suppliers unless you call Centric a major brand
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...rs&rh=n:15684181,k:ram+promaster+brake+rotors
These look like easy pads to change, I expect the rotors just have one or two holding studs and then the lugs to hold. I'd try it for new pads and rotors all around for a bit over $200
Good luck, it ain't rocket science!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I have followed some drivers and know they are driving with two feet. The brake lights keep coming on.
Very bad for the brakes. Anyone drive with two feet?

I have 58k and have lots of pad left.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Aftermarket or OEM brakes and rotors? Just wondering what you guys are using?

Thanks
I replaced my brake pads, all 4, a few weeks ago at 67k miles. Probably could have gone 10k more but the warning kept coming on. I ordered the stock Mopar/Brembo pads because I really liked their performance. I got them from www.partsgeek.com for about $220 a set. I did not replace the discs...mine are in great shape. I'll probably need to replace them next time around. If you are mechanically inclined at all I would replace them yourself. I've heard mechanics want $1500 and they are so easy to do! I did go thru 3 pints of fluid bleeding them though and probably could have used a 4th.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Speaking of brakes....where/how do I look to check the pads without pulling wheels? I have slid around underneath as best as my 65 y.o. 6'1" frame will let me. I can see rotors but cannot visualize the pads. I am used to a F250 with lots of space to check.....Thanks in advance.
P.S. I've only had it for two weeks. '15 136" 1500 gasser

1 - 16 of 16 Posts