Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally got my new front brake disk replaced and, yes, the squealing is 100% gone, what a relief!

So, after 49K km (30K miles), all the bugs that plagued a bunch of early PMs are fixed. My build in Dec 2013 and it seams I got them all: noisy suspension bushings, slow radiator leak, front brake squeal.

All repairs have been done in the past two months with no charge, except the brake disk pads. Got the pads for free (reg price $417), but had to pay $186 for labor cost). It took a bit of work from me to convince them to change the parts, specially the radiator, as their pressure test didn't find any leaks.

The service guy at my dealer explained to me that FCC didn't want to cover all the costs, since the brakes have a shorter warranty (can't remember if it was 20K or 30K km). He did tell them I complained about the brake squeal a long time ago, but that didn't seam to convince the guys at FCC.

With all my visits at the dealer (recalls, problems, normal service) I have developed a good relationship with the service guy. I feel he is doing his job the best he can, but he does not control every string. So, I asked him if it was ok with him if I went after Chrysler for the full refund on the disk pads. He was fine with that.

But I hesitate doing so. $186 is not the end of the world and probably not worth the hassle, the time spent in negative energy. On the other end, it is not my fault if it took s long for them to figure out the cure for that annoying squeal, so there is a principle here.

So, what do I do? Move on or go for it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Send an email to the Ram National Customer Relations MGR & your local FCA District Manager. It may not do anything,
but it will let you vent to someone in authority. That's what I did that finally got FCA up off their bums and authorize my replacement. You may get lucky.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, I finally got my new front brake disk replaced and, yes, the squealing is 100% gone, what a relief!
Do you know what kind or brand they replaced the old with? I just had mine replaced, (though I had to pay full price since I bought used and only had the luxury of complaining about the brakes since I bought the van at 29k miles) but they still sound horrible, if not worse.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Guy T for you it probably isn't worth it. For me I'd love it if you went after them to keep them honest but only if you could enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guy T for you it probably isn't worth it. For me I'd love it if you went after them to keep them honest but only if you could enjoy it.
I went for it and it was not not worth the time lost and the added frustration. My experience so far is that if I don't get satisfying service from my dealer, it is pretty useless to contact Chrysler. Phoned them 3 times s far ans my general impression is that they don't give a s**t.

From what I read here, FCC seams to have a better customer service in the States than the one we have in Canada.

Anyways, sure is fun to drive a squeal-less van, the lady at the Hood River Toll Bridge will finally start to like me!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Guy,

Today I took my PM in to my dealer for speaker replacements (it's a RRT* I think they called it).

* RRT= rapid response something where the dealers get a notice that lots of people are complaining, so they fix it when the vehicles is in for other work.

Anyway, I asked to speak to the service manager to gently remind him that I have been waiting for a solution to the squealing brakes on my 2014 PM for over a year. I brought the TSB number posted on the forum and asked if he had any luck with the Star? Case he set up a year ago.

He looked up my TSB number and said they could do the job but had no parts. While they were doing other items, a service guy came over and said that they found a new set of the required brake pads at a nearby dealer and "if I wanted to wait, they could change 'em".

I waited! A few hours later, I left the dealer, a happy PM owner with new, quiet brakes!

I have about 6000 miles on my 2014, and use it, but not as my primary driver. It was a no charge repair, maybe because the mileage was lower? On my PM, sometime they squealed, sometimes they were quiet. I'm hoping that the new pads will lead to a PQSE - a "permanently quiet stopping experience" :D

Seems like the TSB was posted in June 2015 and superseded by one in November 2015. The new TSB lists which vans need the part ending in "ab" and which need the part ending in "ac". Mine were the "ac" version.

Christmas Eve 67 degrees, tonite 14 degrees in CT!
Ed

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
My 2014 159 3500 did not qualify for the TSB for squealing brakes. Nobody could figure out why. So, the dealership gave me a "goodwill" replacement of both the pads and rotors. Now the primary squeal that was loudest is gone but in its place is a whistling sound during a light pedal press. Anyone else experience this? I'm glad the squeal is gone but it is nowhere near silent like I hoped. It's been a few weeks so maybe it will go away. I doubt it will, though. The bushings were replaced and the rear was dead silent until this morning where I now hear a slight squeak like before. We'll see if it continues.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did they bend the little metal wear indicator tabs when they did the install so they are touching the disc when they shouldn't?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Since having the updated pads installed I think my front brakes are almost always dead silent. I didn't take note as to whether or not the dealer turned the rotors when replacing the pads. I do notice an occasional faint squeal from the rears, but it is very minor and tolerable. I seem to notice this more when I haven't driven the van in a couple days. It may just be a little rotor oxidation when it sits idle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts