Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just picked up a new promaster and wants to add a brake controller. My question is : does it have the wiring under the dash from the factory or not? He did not get the tow package but most trucks have the wiring there anyway. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know for sure but you should be able to find something in the manual or the CD that came with the vehicle.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm still looking for a definitive answer on whether or not there is an under-dash plug for a brake controller if you have the factory towing option. I've browsed all the search results and looked at the DVD with no luck. Can anyone say for sure and maybe have a pic? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,581 Posts
As you haven't found out what you want to know I would suggest he call the service manager at his dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2014 promaster 2500 diesel and if you did not buy the trailer package you do not have any plug under the dash. I just wired mine and had to run all the wires under the dash and from the battery compartment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question on trailer brake controllers; I had one added to my 2014-3500 diesel by Uhaul. Several months later I had some intermittent ESC and ABS dash warning light issues.Took it into a Dodge dealer and they replaced a left rear speed sensor, ABS control module, the hub and the bearing. The mechanic also disconnected my brake controller, thinking it might have messed up the ABS signal. He claimed you could not add an aftermarket brake controller to a Promaster, you could only add a Dodge kit. ("You can't put 1950's technology into a 2014 computerized braking system.") Checked with the dealer parts department for the Promaster kit and they said there isn't one, you have to get an aftermarket controller. Whats the real solution here? Can I reconnect my Uhaul controller?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I added a controller from etrailer to my '15 with the factory tow package. Works great for 2,000 miles of towing a 14', 3,000# travel trailer. The rambodybuilder.com instructions for installing a controller do not mention a factory/Ram controller unit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a 2016 with the factory tow package, and it does not have a connector under the dash. It does have a couple of wires in the battery compartment. One red/blue that comes from the battery + terminal to a 20 amp fuse, and goes out to the 7-way connector, and one blue wire that comes from the 7-way connector that goes to the brake controller.
Every other truck/van that I have seen has all these wires pre-wired to a connector under the dash, but not the ProMaster??
And as KNDLKSTMS says, you have to splice into the Lt.Grn/white wire at the brake pedal for the brake signal to the controller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts