Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a Promaster City SLT cargo and likely pick it up
this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.
Fairly basic..no divide, has backup camera and tow package.
No Nav, but will look at aftermarket NAV (I prefer Garmin to Tom Tom)
with bigger screen.....hopefully iCAR or whatever Apple calls their
system.
If anyone knows what integrates best with the Uconnect system, the backup camera wiring and the controls on the steering wheel let me know.
Will be using both for deliveries and daily driver with potential to
have it refrigerated once those new Euro insulation kits arrive later this year.
Also considering using a Cool Bot and RV AC to cool the back.
hbob

·
Registered
145 Posts
When i bought mine last July, i never knew about this forum.
im glad that i fould it.
knock wood as mines been trouble free,though i did get 4 recalls taken care off. With a build date of 11-13...
congrats and good luck with your new one.

What recalls were on the van?

Mine has been trouble free in the 4300 miles I have on it so far.
The only gripe I have is the a/c system. It smells like ass from the cycling of the air. I do not use the recirculator function. I was thinking of spraying Lysol in the air intake to kill whatever bacteria is in there. Most of these new cars today have a tightly sealed HVAC system.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think jimmbomb is talking about a PM, not a PMC.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
It's very easy to to post a reply in the wrong forum - we are all guilty of doing this. The same goes for hijacking threads and getting way off track. It helps us all if we start a new thread when we want to change the subject of an existing thread and post it in the correct forum. It also helps to do a simple search before asking questions that have been answered over and over again. There is a wealth of info that has been posted here over the past year and a half.

And, yes I'm posting this in the wrong forum on purpose!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Accessories

Since there are not a lot of the City vans in the US, where can you get
accessories? Not sure the dealer will have a catalog of add ons.
I am looking for cargo handling items for rear.
And a rear floor mat for cargo area....rubber, that allows use of the
tie downs.
A roof rack.
hbob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked it up

Drove it home. Fast van.
A little louder than the Wagon version we test drove so will need
some sound insulation....rubber back mat for sure.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the good side

I did post about road noise under separate thread.
Once I get the sounds muffled things should be better.

On the good side....the van is fast, fun to drive and easy to get around town.
I have driven mostly freeway 70 mph plus some around big downtown urban.
Rear backup camera is very nice.

I have the Uconnect Radio which is pretty poor in sound quality and both
the broadcast radio and satellite reception is pretty poor compared to
same locations and the radio in my Toyota truck.

I will likely upgrade to aftermarket radio with NAV but I will wait
a while to do that.
hbob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Transmission

The transmission is VERY smooth. I had read criticism of the 9 speed but
I don't notice it at all except a nice down shift when I gun it.

I have tried the manual shift mode (tiptronic it used to be called in my
VW) but the shifts are so smooth there is none of the
manual shift excitement you experience with more spread apart gears.

The other thing that is interesting is that the direction you shift in the manual mode is opposite the other cars I have had with that function.
prohbob

·
Registered
145 Posts
Regarding the transmission, yes it is all that you describe. When they get more of these vans on the road, I will see if the dealer can reprogram the shift patterns when manually shifting. I find there to be a delay in downshifting when doing so manually. Also, I can't "Forcibly" put it in 9th gear even when doing 70. If you are manually shifting, you should have at least some control over the tranny. Aside from that, the manual thing is useless to me unless I want to see what gear it is in. (Slip the shifter to the left to get a gear count on the center display for those that do not have this van)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding the transmission, yes it is all that you describe. When they get more of these vans on the road, I will see if the dealer can reprogram the shift patterns when manually shifting. I find there to be a delay in downshifting when doing so manually. Also, I can't "Forcibly" put it in 9th gear even when doing 70. If you are manually shifting, you should have at least some control over the tranny. Aside from that, the manual thing is useless to me unless I want to see what gear it is in. (Slip the shifter to the left to get a gear count on the center display for those that do not have this van)
That is exactly my experience. Did not feel like I had much control when in Manual, but I am ok with that. Mostly using it the same way as you, to check the gear. The only time I can see wanting Manual is to control some engine braking when coming down a grade. Not sure if that is required with this
transmission or if it is a good idea.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Despite the positives of being a 9 speed unit, trying to use it to engine brake by manually downshifting is useless. I'm ok with it as you can only do so much within a design limit. There are times when I am approaching a speed camera where I would like to use the engine braking to slow down rather than the brakes. There is a substantial delay in the manual downshift even if the selector shows gear #5 for example and you were in 7th.
I think they will address this as more of these come online. Nonetheless, I love this van and my gripes are minor. If I were to have another choice, I would still buy this van again.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Don't think you'll have much luck getting the dealer to do any "programming" as they are limited to what Chrysler has in their system already.
Not like the old days. No control anymore....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don't think you'll have much luck getting the dealer to do any "programming" as they are limited to what Chrysler has in their system already.
Not like the old days. No control anymore....
There's always a possibility for a aftermarket tuner to offer one given enough time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've used www.dynocomp.com on my other vehicles. Never had an issue with their tunes or dealer service. That being said, I also never had the ecu of a transmission reprogrammed so we will see.
Years ago I bought a new wrangler 2 door.3.8L/4 spd auto.It was a slug.I bought a superchips handheld tuner and went in.Even the reg gas tune improved throttle response etc,and it also reprogrammed my trans for better shift points.Worked good too.BUT,whenever I brought it in for warranty work,I removed the tune and reloaded the stock tune.I didn't want to take any chances.

·
Banned
66 Posts
From the owner's manual:

Electronic Range Select (ERS) Operation
The Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control allows the
driver to limit the highest available gear. For example, if
you set the transmission gear limit to 5 (fifth gear), the
transmission will not shift above fifth gear, but will shift
through the lower gears normally.

You can switch between DRIVE and ERS mode at any
vehicle speed. When the shift lever is in the DRIVE
position, the transmission will operate automatically,
shifting between all available gears.

Moving the shift lever to the ERS position (beside
DRIVE) will activate ERS mode, display the current gear
in the instrument cluster, and set that gear as the top
available gear. Once in ERS mode, moving the shift lever
forward (-) or rearward (+) will change the top available
gear and it will be displayed in the instrument cluster.
To exit ERS mode, simply return the shift lever to the
DRIVE position.
So this isn't a true manual mode, you can force a downshift - but not an upshift.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts