Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today down in the wastelands of industrial Saltillo Mexico the minions of Fiat Chrysler are showing up to build a Sandstone Metallic, diesel, high top, 136 inch ProMaster van, VIN ending in 18496. May their day have started a wonderful morning filled with friendship and good cheer following a hearty breakfast of chorizo, eggs and tortilla. Thankfully this is not a holiday weekend in Mexico. I hope it all goes well and everyone is happy in their lives, their jobs and their pride in making a great product (for me.)

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
Today down in the wastelands of industrial Saltillo Mexico the minions of Fiat Chrysler are showing up to build a Sandstone Metallic, diesel, high top, 136 inch ProMaster van, VIN ending in 18496. May their day have started a wonderful morning filled with friendship and good cheer following a hearty breakfast of chorizo, eggs and tortilla. Thankfully this is not a holiday weekend in Mexico. I hope it all goes well and everyone is happy in their lives, their jobs and their pride in making a great product (for me.)
Can't wait to see the "baby pictures"!;)

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here we are 2 weeks after my sandstone baby has been assembled, painted, mechanicals installed, trim added and whatever else they do and so where is it now? Sitting in Saltillo, MX waiting for a train to move it to the USA, according to my dealer. What's with this? I contacted my Credit Union to close on the loan next week thinking three weeks would be plenty of time to move a van from the factory to NH (you can drive it in 5 days). Do any of you have a suggestion of how long this might go on?

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
Here we are 2 weeks after my sandstone baby has been assembled, painted, mechanicals installed, trim added and whatever else they do and so where is it now? Sitting in Saltillo, MX waiting for a train to move it to the USA, according to my dealer. What's with this? I contacted my Credit Union to close on the loan next week thinking three weeks would be plenty of time to move a van from the factory to NH (you can drive it in 5 days). Do any of you have a suggestion of how long this might go on?
Um, maybe

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I finally resorted to emailing FCA about my van thinking it was a month from build and no word yet. Here is what they said:

"Dear RD:
Congratulations on your 2015 Ram 1500 ProMaster!
Please be advised that the order to delivery timing for the 2015 Ram
1500 ProMaster is a minimum of 4 months and this is an estimate only.
With that being said, according to our provided resources, your 2015 Ram
1500 ProMaster was released by the plant on 07/07/2015 and is currently
in the shipping stages.
Our resources indicate your vehicle is anticipated to arrive at
Tri-city Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Somersworth, NH on or around
07/20/2015. Keep in mind that the ETA provided is an estimated date for
delivery, not a promise or guarantee. Actually delivery may vary.
We would strongly advise staying in contact with your selling dealership
as they will have the most accurate and up to date delivery information
within their provided resources.
You are always welcome to reply back to this email and we will respond
back to you as promptly as we can. If you prefer, you can also call us
directly with your questions at the Ram Product Information Center by
calling 1-866-726-4636.
Thank you for your email, RD. We wish you the best!
Sincerely,
Nicole
Ram Product Information Center"

Great it exists. The dealer tried to keep me up to date but no real information. I should have called. I now have the number and will call in the future. I have 10-12 days to wait and it could have been much worse. BTW the order-to-delivery will probably be 125 days! Almost 18 weeks, which is 4-1/2 months. Who knew!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Although the wait may be very frustrating I'm sure when it arrives you will be very satisfied you did wait.
I ended up settling on a van that had everything I wanted except it had a bench seat for the passenger. thinking at some point I was going to replace both seats with captain chairs, I did not anticipate the airbag issues that is making it difficult to even do a swap with anyone that does want a bench seat.
If I had to do it over I would order custom and have no fingernails from chewing them off in anticipation.

Hope you have some fingernails left to grab those little objects during your build!

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It really is not the time it takes as much as the not knowing "when". I need to have payment ready as I did my own financial arrangements, I need to arrange insurance, I have a vehicle to sell which I use nearly everyday until the van arrives. How do you do these things if you don't know if it's arriving in a couple of days or another month? It's just irritating to be able to buy a $5 trinket from China and get tracking and a declared delivery date and in contrast wait for 18 weeks for a $35,000 product and not know much of anything without inquiring and then finding out the dealer didn't even get the information I got from FCA today! The dealers are in a terrible position between FCA not having a transparent order tracking system and the customer who is pestering them to know. My contact there used the word "Brutal," I feel for them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Don't take this wrong RDinNHandAZ, but how did you not know it was going to take 4 to 5 months for delivery? It's been all over this forum since almost day 1 that it takes this long or longer for the diesel version. Your dealer should know these things also.
Again, once a vehicle gets put on the train, it's out of the manufacturer's hands. The railroad now literally owns the vehicle, and they can take whatever time they require or want to transport these. Then you throw in the cross the border thing too.

Now that there's 3 domestic assembler/builders of these tall vans, that has added a twist not seen before either. They don't fit on a standard rail car or transport truck. More time there waiting in line.....

Good luck on your purchase when that happens, and hope your van comes in good from it's trip.....

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wishfull thinking perhaps. My dealer told me 8-10 weeks when I ordered. All over this forum? Really? There have been only a few ordered diesels IIRC. Besides I didn't so much care how long it took...... my complaint is not being able to keep track. I don't live in the 1950's so I expect to be able to check the progress, or at least get it from my dealer. NOT SO on my van.
Because, about 6 weeks along, I was told it would be manufactured on June 12 and was also told it would be 10-12 days to arrive after that, I posted an inquiry about how long to deliver, I got one response that theirs was 4 weeks which is 2 weeks longer than my dealer told me. BUT it will have been just under 6 weeks if I get it on the week of the 20th. Can you see why I could have NOT known????? Please don't assume I don't listen or read, I just have received poor information from everyone. Sure, its easy to sound smart after the fact!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
RD,

All the info in the world doesn't help when you're waiting for your van.... I was thinking about ordering one, but I knew I couldn't handle the wait, so I got what a dealer ordered instead of exactly what I wanted. I admire your patience! It'll be here soon and this will all be history!

When the new Corvette came out, I ordered one. Dealers need to have an allocation when they order and mine said they had plenty of allocations. Order stood around for a month without being allocated - I caved and purely by chance found the perfect car for me, locally no less! Every car/van order/purchase is a different story, and with yours, I'm hoping you see the headlights coming at you in the near future!

Ed

ps. Some of the Corvette guys figured out how to get the Onstar turned on after the car was manufactured, and followed it from the factory to their dealer via Onstar! Didn't get there any faster, tho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts