Ram Promaster Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2021, Promaster 159 HR 2500, Silver
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Just crossed back into US in ND. They inspected the van. Fortunately they let me keep the salmon, moose, and caribou in my freezer.

They should have kept the 100 lbs of Canadian mud attached to my traction boards.

While I am grateful they work so well I am not sure what to do with them now. Haha

Plant Wood Grass Automotive tire Tree

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just crossed back into US in ND. They inspected the van. Fortunately they let me keep the salmon, moose, and caribou in my freezer.

They should have kept the 100 lbs of Canadian mud attached to my traction boards.

While I am grateful they work so well I am not sure what to do with them now. Haha

View attachment 89689
Well the joke’s on them because the salmon, moose, and caribou were full of drugs, and what looked like 100 lbs of mud was really 45 kilos of the purest Canadian meth ever cooked in a campervan by the one known on the street as Boondoggzenberg.

Congratulations sir, you just broke bad.
Sky Cloud Automotive tire Motor vehicle Travel

Cloud Sky Hood Automotive lighting Afterglow

Sky Plant Cloud Vehicle Window

·
Registered
2021, Promaster 159 HR 2500, Silver
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Trip summary:
--Bluetti AC200P with 525 watts of solar was perfect. I never dropped below 50% soc and that was only after 2 days of no sun. I ran lights/fan, charged phone/devices, and ran fridge (in freezer mode for half of the trip). I did not use any heat (in form of 12volt electric blanket). With lows in 40s I never got cold. I slept in van each night. One morning it was 30F and it was a little chilly but I had not covered windows or blocked off cab to preserve warmth.
--Maxxair fan still rattles but has kept working. I'll delve into that issue at some point.
--All of my wiring and systems have performed perfectly.
--TOYO Open Country Tires performed well but I did get stuck in some mud near Saskatoon while trying to get to a campsite suggested on iOverlander. Holy crap! Thank goodness for the traction boards. However, once they are covered in sticky mud they are almost too heavy to lift. After about 15 backing up cycles with the traction boards I got unstuck. What a workout! Happy to know that I can do it all by myself though. As a result, I imported about 100lb of fine Canadian mud. My ex-husband is borrowing my traction boards for a trip to Moab and is going to clean the boards and deposit all of that fine mud around his maple trees as one should do.
--While I loved my not-so-old quilt on the bed, once wet dogs sleep on it, it stays wet. So I switched to using a Kelty biggie blanket on the bed and it worked perfectly. The slicky surface was easy to shake off outside. It dried quickly. And it was warm. I typically use this blanket to block off the cab as it is the perfect size and light weight enough to be held in place by the bins in the overhead shelf. I have ordered a new outdoor down blanket from Eddie Bauer to use on the bed and will return the Kelty to its original function.
--I didn't use a step stool or anything to enter/exit the slider. I got good at it.
--I didn't do much cooking in the van. I need to build my final kitchen so I have better drawers and easier access to all of that. I was able to turn fridge to freezer and brought home salmon, smoked salmon, rock fish, halibut, caribou, and moose. I have awesome friends!
--Traveling with 3 large dogs was pretty simple. I was typically able to find places for them to run around off leash. On a few trails I leashed them and they happily helped pull me up the mountains. Sweet! They were perfect travel companions and are probably the reason I never needed heat at night. :D
--Things left to finish in van: final kitchen (uses same components as existing interim kitchen); uppermost section of wall (that top skinny section); might get a bigger Iceco chest fridge/freezer in future; trim around doors; clean up wiring to make it prettier; maybe add some nice tree vinyl graphics on the exterior. That is all I can think of. Everything functions perfectly. I can just choose to make it all prettier; I have a rain gutter for above slider and a screen door that I brought with me but never installed either. I don't know many places I would sit around with door open and need a screen but it will stay in van just in case; also in future I will add a swivel to passenger seat and install a lagun table (these things are if I ever take a friend on a trip).
--I'm going to try to buy some land in Seward and spend full summers teleworking from there. Fingers crossed.

In closing, go to Alaska.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts