Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems boondocking is a popular venture. Having never done it, I have a stupid question: What do you do all day for several days to keep from being bored stiff?

·
Registered
625 Posts
The term 'boondocking' can cover many things. What you're thinking of sounds like heading out to a national forest or such, finding a spot, and staying for as long as your supplies allow. That's a cool way to do it. It also applies to finding an out-of-the-way place on a side road and staying there for the night as you travel. Basically spending a night not at a campground, nor at a Walmart parking lot.

And yeah... for the multi-day stuff, I'd go with papa's commentary.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What he said

Ride mtn bike, ride motorcycle, read book, ... It all fits in the van :)
Yah, what he said....Although the book is usually the repair manual on my old 2 stroke bikes

·
Registered
121 Posts
Boondocking/dispersed camping oh yeah!

Msnomer, my experiences in my old 1988 Toyota van have been sleeping at or near remote trailheads in the Olympic mountains of western Washington and occasionally by rivers and lakes in eastern Washington. The entertainment was seeing the sun rise with a cup of coffee in my hand and then heading out for a hike in the hills or a walk by the water after which a return to the van for dinner and a cold refreshing beverage but maybe the best part is not having to drive until you feel like it so you can take your time watching the weather and the wildlife.
Ofcourse there is always reading, meditating or sketching out plans for improving your van. Looking forward to doing it again next spring in my new Promaster even thinking about sleeping under the stars during the Perseid meteor shower next August at the wind farm near Ellensburg. But then I am somewhat of a misanthrope so I tend to avoid people most of the time.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh. So this term "boondocking" has a broader meaning than I thought, and we've been doing it without knowing we were. :laugh: I thought there was a time element, not just that you're in the boonies. Duh. We tend to stay in a spot only long enough to hike what trails are available.

Dane, you might consider a slide-out for your bed so you can sleep under the stars in comfort. Much as I love the stars, I love that comfortable bed more.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Enjoy the peace and quiet! Hike/walk and then relax. Watch wildlife. Lay in the sun. Go for a swim. Listen to a book. Cook a nice dinner. Watch the sun set. Sit around the campfire. Count my blessings!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I personally think of boondocking as any overnighting in an unimproved site -- for me anything that is not a campground with hookups. I also include Walmarts (never stayed there), rest areas, parking lots, etc... in the definition. I do like the idea of overnighting in some isolated forest or a country road, but my wife would never go along with that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What chance said above is boondocking. We do the WalMart Supercenters all the time. Never had an issue yet...

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
In the SW where i have just arrived, we call the same thing "Coyote Camping"- free remote camping on federal lands or wherever we end the day. Walmart camping fits in a different category for me -traveling to get somewhere and only need a spot to sleep. Boondocking or Coyote camping suggests a remote site with no services but interesting surroundings.
Our recent trip had one night of Walmart (couldn't find the FS road in deluge), one boondock, out of 20 nights, three nights with friends in their house, three in state parks ($24-Texa$ but had showers) and the rest in NFS or National Parks (Big Bend) all @ $7 per night (senior pass) and all but Big Ben with showers! Much more "camping" than usual for us.

·
Super Moderator
10,851 Posts
When you live in the boondocks what do you call camping in civilization? Just wondering?>:D

Glad to see you made it back home!

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Stupid! Just got the power turned on in the house in AZ. Coffee! More than 60 square feet of space! No remote wildlife excitement unless you count coyotes howling or first of the morning trip to the bushes though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ahh. So this term "boondocking" has a broader meaning than I thought, and we've been doing it without knowing we were. :laugh: I thought there was a time element, not just that you're in the boonies. Duh. We tend to stay in a spot only long enough to hike what trails are available.

Dane, you might consider a slide-out for your bed so you can sleep under the stars in comfort. Much as I love the stars, I love that comfortable bed more.
Great Idea MsNomer, I've always had a slide out for the gear under the bed but, never on the bed.

Thanks for the Idea!

Cheers, Dave
PS what most said about camping for free with no facilities

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One thing I regret about the PM is that it has barn doors instead of lift up. Rented a minivan in NZ where the bed slid out under the lift door and we could look at the stars through the rear window. Had a tent that attached around bottom and sides.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts