Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Has anyone done their own bonded window install?
There's a lot of info how to do it out there but one thing I'm not finding is info about surface prep. I assume bonding them straight to the paint is not a good idea but finding the prep chemicals is not easy in the US.
I'll be installing the cr Laurence factory type windows.
Appreciate any advice

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Hi everyone,
Has anyone done their own bonded window install?
There's a lot of info how to do it out there but one thing I'm not finding is info about surface prep. I assume bonding them straight to the paint is not a good idea but finding the prep chemicals is not easy in the US.
I'll be installing the cr Laurence factory type windows.
Appreciate any advice
The CR Laurence windows are held on by a frame and screws. Not bonded.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The CR Laurence windows are held on by a frame and screws. Not bonded.

Don't know about the side ones, haven't had them installed yet, but the rear CR Laurence windows are bonded/glued and have no frame.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
For clarification:

CR Laurence SIDEWALL windows are a piece of glass with an aluminum frame bonded to it at the factory. A hole is cut, the metal frame is inserted through the hole, and a clamping ring of metal is screwed into the aluminum window frame to clamp it in place. You see the screws and clamp ring on the inside. There is no glue involved, just a foam edge that seals the window against the body of the van, when the clamping ring is tightened.

Factory windows are glued in place. No frame, the glass is glued to the metal of the van with a spacer that keeps the glass about 1/8" off the metal surface. The sheet metal of the van is formed to create a finished edge on the inside.

If there are no factory windows in the rear doors, I would expect that a hole is cut and the CRL windows are clamped in place like the side windows. Factory windows are glued to the van at the factory.... no clamping ring. I have them.

From the outside, CRL windows look just like factory...but, the tinting on the CRL windows is slightly darker than the factory tint. The factory slider window I have is tinted a bit lighter than the CRL window I had installed across from it.

Ed

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,376 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
KWB,

showing up as blank pages for me...
It works for me. It just says Fixed/ clamp ring for the install back doors are glued slider DOOR oem replacement glued after market clamp ring. The link I posted I found on the window page " AU102 "

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
For clarification:

I have CR Laurence rear windows - no frame. The rear windows are bonded/glued on.
makevx73,

Veeerryy interesting. Not sure why they wouldn't use a clamp ring as an aftermarket install. Especially on a door with it slamming shut all the time!

Didi you install them? Wondering if you have to clean the metal and glue?

Wish they made "hinge at the top" rear windows. My old '72 Dodge Tradesman had them! I'd take my factory ones off and put them on!

SO:

CRL Side Windows = clamping ring no glue/bonding
CRL Back Door windows = glued (or bonded)

Ed

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had mine installed. A bit to "chicken" to cut a hole...

Had it done down your way sort of - Windsor CT.

http://actionglassllc.com

Real profession place a buddy recommended.

I think they intended them as factory replacements so they made them install the same way? Hot-wire off the glass remnants, clean off the remainder of the glue and glue on the replacement.

I second the wish for tilt outs. You get lots of airflow with those.

I plan on putting windows in both sides eventually - the slider and behind driver. CRL for some reason didn't produce them for a 118" WB PM initially. In December was told they were in pre-production so I've been waiting. Have to check with Action Glass and see if they're available yet.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks for the info everyone, I had no idea the sides were clamped, it sounds like they don't need any additional frame?

For the rear door bonded, can anyone offer advice on surface prep of the door? Seems I need activator and something to prep the metal? Does the paint need to be removed where the adhesive is?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Wow thanks for the info everyone, I had no idea the sides were clamped, it sounds like they don't need any additional frame?

For the rear door bonded, can anyone offer advice on surface prep of the door? Seems I need activator and something to prep the metal? Does the paint need to be removed where the adhesive is?
Don't remove the paint use seam or pinch weld paint on any bare metal rust is a bonded windows worst enemy. What ever bonding agent you use follow their recommendations I have never done it so your on your own. It's similar to windshield install but you need a way to hold the window in place while the bonding agent sets up or take the doors off.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts

Just clean the surface. No other prep needed. Use an auto glass adhesive. I would use this: https://www.trucknvans.com/product/CRLSomaca-One-Hour-Auto-Glass

Spread it around the glass and press into place.

Then use a suction cup lifter on the inside of the van to pull it tight. Here is a cheap one I used: http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-cup-suction-lifter-46134.html

Use a ratcheting tie down to wrap around the suction and connect to something secure in the van. This will hold the window tight while the adhesive sets.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Word of advice to anyone attempting a bonded install. Get a good heavy duty caulking gun, or even better if you can get an electric. It is seriously heavy viscosity stuff and you need to get a nice even bead on there. THE $4 Home Depot gun isnt happening

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Word of advice to anyone attempting a bonded install. Get a good heavy duty caulking gun, or even better if you can get an electric. It is seriously heavy viscosity stuff and you need to get a nice even bead on there. THE $4 Home Depot gun isnt happening

Be certain you get a good hole poked before you put it in the gun. Also, a warm tube is better than a cold one. Any gun should be fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts