Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title briefly shows our purported route. Subject to change and roadside attractions that look interesting.

Boise, Bend area, back roads to The Dalles, White Salmon, Astoria, up the coast, Olympic peninsula, ONP, Port Townsend, Whidbey Island, Anacortes, Orcas and San Juan Islands, Sidney BC, Victoria and area, Vancouver BC, then ??

We're leaving tomorrow, June 2. Our latest return date is Aug 13.

We'll be backpacking in Olympic National Park and along the Juan de Fuca Marine National Trail. Lots of hiking. Lots of biking. Lots of coastal exploration. I see that shortone lives on Whidbey Island. Can we come by for a peak at your van? Anyone else interested in a meetup???

Any advice on stealth camping while on the islands? We prefer forest service roads, no hookups, no water, no people.

I'm hoping to use a Google Doc to blog our trip. Here is a link to my trial doc. Can you open it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Give us a yell when you're heading to Whidbey. We're on the south end outside of Langley. Sending PM.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know of some spots north of Astoria just north where Hwy 4 meets up with 101 for stealth camping in the forest. You will need a Discovery Pass to access the road, or so the sign says. Also in Astoria stop by the Blue Scorcher for coffee and a cardamon roll!! Yum.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This trip sounds awesome. That's the kind of stuff we want to use our van for once we have more time.... in the meantime weekend trips and daily driving with a bathroom, bed, and fridge at my disposal.

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
Ha, ha - the three most important necessities of life!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Discover Pass

I know of some spots north of Astoria just north where Hwy 4 meets up with 101 for stealth camping in the forest. You will need a Discovery Pass to access the road, or so the sign says. Also in Astoria stop by the Blue Scorcher for coffee and a cardamon roll!! Yum.
I just checked out the discover pass. So, it appears to give access to DNR lands (lets you drive a motor vehicle or park at a trail-head). $30 for an annual pass that I can buy when I get to Wa. Do you think it's worth it to have the pass (opens up more opportunities) or can I assume that access to National Forest land is readily available without the need to purchase any passes? It looks like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just checked out the discover pass. So, it appears to give access to DNR lands (lets you drive a motor vehicle or park at a trail-head). $30 for an annual pass that I can buy when I get to Wa. Do you think it's worth it to have the pass (opens up more opportunities) or can I assume that access to National Forest land is readily available without the need to purchase any passes? It looks like a good deal to me.
The Discover Pass is for Washington State lands such as state parks, DNR, etc. National Forests may require a separate pass depending on location. There is an annual Northwest Forest Pass for $30 which covers all Federal lands that require a pass in Washington and Oregon. The America the Beautiful Pass does the same thing nationwide for $80/Year. If you are over age 62, get the Senior Pass for $10 lifetime which also gives 50% discount on federal campgrounds. Best deal around.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
We are in Hood River. Feel free to stop by and show us your van.
You can message me at 54l 49O 5O98 when you get into the area.
A lot to do in the Gorge around White Salmon and Hood River.
Great hiking on Mount Hood and along the Gorge.

WAAAM with old planes and cars is nice and won't take long like
some larger museums. It's just down the road from us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts