Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 118 low, Black
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this dent down to the bare metal in my right rear pillar the other day. I took it to my body shop, and in less than 24 hours they had it looking perfect. Is there some way for body shops to melt the nearby paint to cover the bare spot? Or did they mix a small batch and shoot it? I'm afraid to ask.

Plant Window Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Sky Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
766 Posts
They make matching touch up paint. With skill, a bit of luck and some wet sanding one can blend in a touched up spot so it's barely even noticeable. That said, it would be tough to do so on a corner like that, so they may have done more which would be impressive in that time frame.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a similar dent. When the kid brought my van out I was absolutely amazed. "How do they do it?" I asked. The kid's response was, "They are crazy good at what they do." That was enough to satisfy me.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,578 Posts
With this new if a vehicle (paint not faded) they probably used the factory formula for the paint match rather than attempting a "hand" match.

They probably masked along the vertical body seam and the top body seam, along the door and above the tail light. If you look closely at the factory seam near the damage, you might see a tiny ridge where the masking tape was.

The modern finishes with clear coat are difficult to do a soft edged blend - - easier to just shoot the entire panel to an edge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts