Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of fitting and installing a u-shaped bulkhead (open at the top) between the central bathroom and rear bed area. I found the body isn't square enough to use the same wall contour pattern for both sides. That got me wondering about body flex. Should I plan for some body flex (side to side) by limiting hard attachments to just the floor, or can I assume rigidity and attach the bulkhead to the walls as well?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,803 Posts
I've read that Sprinters and Transits flex so much, it can affect handling. I've never seen mention of flex in a PM and have never noticed any.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If there was any significant body flex I am pretty sure the window we installed behind the driver side would have shattered by now. The glass is so close to the van that you can't slide but more than a piece of paper between the van and glass. I was very worried about body flex when we where clamping down that window; one large pothole and it would be toast.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone. All good news so far. Anyone have experience with large cabinets (etc) attached to the wall, floor, and ceiling?

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
In may other RV’s cabinets like that are rigidly fixed in one place and then held with L brackets to allow a bit of movement especially if the cabinet is glued and screwed so it cannot flex.
See:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Hardware-75-6111-Corner-Braces/dp/B00004Z0R1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501612743&sr=8-2&keywords=L+brackets[/ame]

·
Banned
413 Posts
There is definitely flex. We humans probably can't feel it, but that is no evidence at all that it doesn't exist.

I had one fixture mounted to both the wall and ceiling, and when crossing storm drains laterally the van twists enough that this fixture creaked. Consistently. Removing the ceiling attachment made the creaks go away.

That's not a good reason to avoid 3 points of contact though -- just plan for it with a soft (elastomeric, or even rubber?) washer at the wall and ceiling points, and leave the floor point rigid.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The only flex I have detected in my 14 136 gasser happens in the dead of winter. Temp in the teens. Go over a rough road and the hatches squeak annoyingly. I'm sure it still flexes above freezing. ;-) But at least the squeaks don't happen.

Reactions: SteveSS
1 - 10 of 10 Posts