Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2018 Promaster 2500 136" High Roof Gasser
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
edit: added janky diagram to help explain what the **** I am talking about.

We have scored the internet and can't find a conversion that confirms clearance of flarespace body flares + tern overland window (450x900mm) installed in the passenger sliding door.

We have found a couple sprinter conversions (example) but no promasters. has anyone here done it or seen it done? 馃檹馃

I have reached out to both tern and flarespace but since it is the holidays and 2020 I unsurprisingly haven't heard back.

more context

I finally received two tern overland windows that we ordered months ago and just completed installing the 1st one on the right back door (driver side).

Since ordering the windows we have realized and resigned ourselves to the fact we need to install flares on our Promaster 136" High Roof. I am too tall to sleep crosswise and lengthwise gives up too much valuable space - making flarespace the only option. and yes, $1600 is a bit silly but their patent means they are the one and only choice.

We are in love with the already installed window and had planned to install our 450x900mm window on the passenger sliding door but have some clearance concerns with the flare. We have measured and remeasured and with the thinnest trim ring clearing the flares seems potentially doable - but waaay too close to confidently start cutting.

amos

Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
You will probably be the first to do this. What about a flarespace on just one side? Or, the inner trim ring with the shade on the window is cosmetic. If you are willing to give up the shade, you could build a much thinner inner trim piece.

Registered
2019 136HT 2500 "Van Diego"
20201228_154506.jpg
We have scored the internet and can't find a conversion that confirms clearance of flarespace body flares + tern overland window (450x900mm) installed in the passenger sliding door.

We have found a couple sprinter conversions (example) but no promasters. has anyone here done it or seen it done? 馃檹馃

I have reached out to both tern and flarespace but since it is the holidays and 2020 I unsurprisingly haven't heard back.

more context

I finally received two tern overland windows that we ordered months ago and just completed installing the 1st one on the right back door (driver side).

Since ordering the windows we have realized and resigned ourselves to the fact we need to install flares on our Promaster 136" High Roof. I am too tall to sleep crosswise and lengthwise gives up too much valuable space - making flarespace the only option. and yes, $1600 is a bit silly but their patent means they are the one and only choice.

We are in love with the already installed window and had planned to install our 450x900mm window on the passenger sliding door but have some clearance concerns with the flare. We have measured and remeasured and with the thinnest trim ring clearing the flares seems potentially doable - but waaay too close to confidently start cutting.

amos
Amosu, here is a few pics of a pair of Tern Overland 300脳700MM windows overlapping each other with slider open, on our 2019 136HT. The trim ring thickness on the sliding door I just measured at 42MM as it is installed in pics.
Flare on slider side, gonna be tough.
Perhaps brainstorm a minature tip-out?

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about a flarespace on just one side?
Yeah that isn't a bad idea but was hoping to use both since they are sold in pairs. Riffing on that possble solution, I reached out to flarespace and asked about extended depth flares for the promaster. They don't have listed on the site but they do have ones for the very similar fiat ducato.

Or, the inner trim ring with the shade on the window is cosmetic. If you are willing to give up the shade, you could build a much thinner inner trim piece.
We considered this one but since we live in SF and park on street the blinds are a must have unless you want a smashed window. We could do our own but the integrate blinds were such a selling point for us.

One idea we came up with today is mounting some (or all) of the window frame on the outside of the van instead of the inside. That way you can still get the wall thickness required for tern windows. Wood on the outside of the van isn't ideal so we'd have come up with an alternative but it seems like a viable option. Thoughts?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps brainstorm a minature tip-out?
Thanks Nick, those pictures and measurements are super helpful! I agree it seem tough. Forgive my ignorance, what is a miniature tip-out?

Registered
Thanks Nick, those pictures and measurements are super helpful! I agree it seem tough. Forgive my ignorance, what is a miniature tip-out?
Amosu, tip-out is perhaps a bit of a dated term. Slide out, pop out etc. Something that tips out, slides out or pops out of the side & expands the living space of the van/camper/trailer etc. But, sounds like you are trying to semi stealth camp there in SF so that may not work.
Could you sleep diagonally on your bed?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amosu, tip-out is perhaps a bit of a dated term. Slide out, pop out etc. Something that tips out, slides out or pops out of the side & expands the living space of the van/camper/trailer etc. But, sounds like you are trying to semi stealth camp there in SF so that may not work.
Could you sleep diagonally on your bed?
Gotcha. That is a really interesting idea. Are you envisioning something like the flare popping out for sleeping and then closed before opening the slider?

It's a different sort of stealth required in SF since we are MUCH more accepting wayward wanders. The goal is to to hint that someone might be inside at that moment - which requires zero vizibility into the camper. I've had tiny cramped cars broken into just for a place to sleep - let along cozy high home on wheels.

Registered
Yes, something that tips , slides pops out to extend living area. Probably better on the drivers side so you can still use the slider.
Here's a pic of our tern windows with the slider closed so you get a better idea. Was losing light yesterday when I took the other ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts