Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019-136 HR in CO
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Lewmar Size 54 Boat Hatch from West Marine for installation in my van. The boat hatch arrived damaged. It has protruding, sharp metal, a goopy substance leaking from the hinges, and/or a badly done seam. This obviously isn't something I am going to install with these issues, especially given the function that this product serves and that it needs to be 100 % water tight . I initiated a return with West Marine 3 weeks ago (which was also within the 30 day return window for the product) and thus far they have not offered me a return or exchange. I have been going back and forth with customer service (again, 3 weeks ago) and they claim they are waiting on Lewmar. I have purchased many products in my lifetime and I have never had a defective product that I could not immediately return to the vendor and have replaced with a working version of the product, let alone had to wait while they work it out with the manufacturer. My latest contact with West Marine is that it is "warranty issue," which does not make any sense to me as a warranty issue is that you have a working product that originally worked but develops a problem. This was a brand new, never used, never installed, defective product.

Has anyone had this happen with a product and/or can you recommend any next steps? In my previous experience as a customer that receives a defective product, I've returned the product to the vendor, they gave me a refund or exchange, then I never have any exposure to whatever happens between the vendor/manufacturer. My coworker suggested checking the packing slip to see if it was drop shipped and contacting Lewmar directly. However, the packing slip is direct from West Marine and I do not see any customer service contact info for Lewmar. I did reach out to their customer service as listed on their website (they are based in the UK) and am awaiting a return call/email, but I am not sure if they will be able to help me since I don't have any sort of warranty claim number, PO number, etc. I did also reach out to West Marine asking for a warranty claim number in case I hear back from Lewmar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
168 Posts
Did you pay with a credit card? If so, You can always dispute the charges with your card company of West Marine refuses to make it right. You typically have 180 days from the purchase date to do so, but it may vary depending on your location.
This. Your time is valuable. Tell them to send you another and take the defective one back or your next call will be to the credit card company to reverse the charges.

·
Registered
2018 136" HR
372 Posts
I have the same lewmar hatch in my van and the weld seam seems normal. The gloop of glue or whatever its next to the seat is not normal compare to mine.

·
Registered
2019-136 HR in CO
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I once got the run around from WM's corporate office on an extended warranty claim. So, I talked to a store manager who sympathized and got it cleared up for me.
Thanks. This is exactly what I was thinking....that I could try a store. The only problem is that the closest store is 3.5 hours from where I live so it is a day trip for me (and my time), which ironically I chose to purchase from West Marine because they actually did have physical stores I could access in case of problems. LOL. I will probably call the store ahead of time and see if they even have a replacement in stock. I am really bummed b/c I was excited about this and actually want to use it! There are some other places that sell them so if I am able to get my money back, I will probably just order from there.

·
Registered
2019-136 HR in CO
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could also reach out to Lewmar. They’re good peeps.
I did also reach out to their customer service and am hoping to receive a response through them. I would think they would be concerned about a quality issue themselves, and especially about a vendor not honoring their commitment to good products. As someone who works for a manufacturer, I of course recognize that sometimes mistakes happen in production. So, I definitely don't have a problem with Lewmar. I still very much want this sweet boat hatch! :)

·
Registered
2019-136 HR in CO
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same lewmar hatch in my van and the weld seam seems normal. The gloop of glue or whatever its next to the seat is not normal compare to mine.
Thank you. I was hoping that someone who had something similar might be able to respond as to what theirs looks like since I haven't seen another one in person.

·
Registered
2019-136 HR in CO
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you pay with a credit card? If so, You can always dispute the charges with your card company of West Marine refuses to make it right. You typically have 180 days from the purchase date to do so, but it may vary depending on your location.
Thank you. Yes, I paid with the credit card and I did check after you posted this and I can dispute it and there is even a reason code if a vendor is not honoring a return. Ideally, I'd like to still get this hatch as clearly I ordered it for a reason and want it! I also was able to purchase it during a sale period so I got a nice discount versus buying it elsewhere. But, if I don't get resolution by the end of this week at least I know I have that route! Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Thanks. This is exactly what I was thinking....that I could try a store. The only problem is that the closest store is 3.5 hours from where I live so it is a day trip for me (and my time), which ironically I chose to purchase from West Marine because they actually did have physical stores I could access in case of problems. LOL. I will probably call the store ahead of time and see if they even have a replacement in stock. I am really bummed b/c I was excited about this and actually want to use it! There are some other places that sell them so if I am able to get my money back, I will probably just order from there.
Definitely call ahead. I took care of my WM problem on the phone with a store manager in another town (Friday Harbor, WA). But, it took her several weeks to cut through the red tape for me and get the replacement part. I had bought the original when WM still had two stores locally. By the time I filed the extended warranty claim, they had zero. To pick up the part in Friday Harbor, I took a very scenic all-day roundtrip via ferry. Win, win. Haven't used WM since then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a Lewmar Size 54 Boat Hatch from West Marine for installation in my van. The boat hatch arrived damaged. It has protruding, sharp metal, a goopy substance leaking from the hinges, and/or a badly done seam. This obviously isn't something I am going to install with these issues, especially given the function that this product serves and that it needs to be 100 % water tight . I initiated a return with West Marine 3 weeks ago (which was also within the 30 day return window for the product) and thus far they have not offered me a return or exchange. I have been going back and forth with customer service (again, 3 weeks ago) and they claim they are waiting on Lewmar. I have purchased many products in my lifetime and I have never had a defective product that I could not immediately return to the vendor and have replaced with a working version of the product, let alone had to wait while they work it out with the manufacturer. My latest contact with West Marine is that it is "warranty issue," which does not make any sense to me as a warranty issue is that you have a working product that originally worked but develops a problem. This was a brand new, never used, never installed, defective product.

Has anyone had this happen with a product and/or can you recommend any next steps? In my previous experience as a customer that receives a defective product, I've returned the product to the vendor, they gave me a refund or exchange, then I never have any exposure to whatever happens between the vendor/manufacturer. My coworker suggested checking the packing slip to see if it was drop shipped and contacting Lewmar directly. However, the packing slip is direct from West Marine and I do not see any customer service contact info for Lewmar. I did reach out to their customer service as listed on their website (they are based in the UK) and am awaiting a return call/email, but I am not sure if they will be able to help me since I don't have any sort of warranty claim number, PO number, etc. I did also reach out to West Marine asking for a warranty claim number in case I hear back from Lewmar.
Being a former sailboat owner and cruiser I can say that West Marine has tried to gain a monopoly on marine stores and has no idea what a discount is. Try DEFENDER INDUSTRIES, a marine discounter. Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales | Defender Marine We found there prices and service the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts