Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried to figure out a way to buy travato bike rack? The rack that comes on the Winnebago travatos. That is one cool rack especially how the trays slide in to minimize it when not in use. Why do they make it so hard to buy just the rack?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Over 700 dollars for a bike rack... wow...
That said I paid 300 for my current one on the prius... good quality and has lasted years...
But 800 probably with tax and shipping... WOW..

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like how that travato rack bolts to the door instead of clamping around the side. And also how the trays slide into each other when not in use, it's way smaller and more compact on the rear door. And lower. I think I saw something like it on I transit that maybe I could make work but can't find any info about a transit rack like I saw.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Has anybody tried to figure out a way to buy travato bike rack? The rack that comes on the Winnebago travatos. That is one cool rack especially how the trays slide in to minimize it when not in use. Why do they make it so hard to buy just the rack?

We bumped into a new Travato with one of these racks last fall in Tennessee and decided that, despite its outrageous cost, we had to have one. We really liked not only the way the rack slides and folds to stow, but the fact that the entire rack can be so easily removed (just four thumb screws).

Just purchased and installed the Travato rack after an 11 hour round-trip Valentine's day drive to Iowa from the Chicago area (stopped for that romantic dinner overlooking the Mississippi on the way back). We delt with Kim at Winnebago Parts (.com). Tell her Winston sent you! :~).

There are no instructions provided - - but fortunately we'd taken a lot of photos of the legitimate Travato installation in Tennessee. We had one small glitch in that the passenger-side 'tire blocks' are fixed and adjacent one-another (meaning the position of the passenger side wheel for both bikes is the same). Even 'reversing' the bikes (as recommended by James at the FitRV) the straight handlebar of one bike was hitting the seat of the other. This problem was easily solved by redrilling a couple of holes to offset these tire blocks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on somebody actually did it! Thanks for the info. You say it's outrageous cost, sounds scary lol.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Winston and VJ,
Thanks for the picture update. You both are looking fine. I find it hard to believe you haven't escaped the UPPA Midwest for an Arizona sunny-cation. Bring the bikes, we have an active biking community. Imagine what that 2,000 watts of solar you carry around would do with 13 hours of unbroken sunshine!
RD&Pam

·
Registered
627 Posts
This is the company that makes that rack: https://www.summit-products.com/ Just call them and place an order. I placed/received an order with them for the bike rack's mounts - I'm planning to use them to attach an exterior cargo box rather than the bike rack.
`
We contacted Summit, first, to see if they had any installation instructions. Nope, that's Winnebago's responsibility we were told. We also inquired whether they would sell us the rack directly. They said no. Thus a bit surprised at your success re: those mounts.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I find it hard to believe you haven't escaped the UPPA Midwest for an Arizona sunny-cation.
We were waiting for you to announce the threatened winter southwestern ProMaster rendezvous.

Looks like something that a guy who knows his way around aluminum could replicate, no?
We'd say 'no'. There are too many molded plastic parts and possibly hard to source 'mating' extruded channels and thumb-knobs. Although if Summit is willing to sell some of these items . . . maybe.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,537 Posts
Now you've got me thinking... a combination of some of the 80/20 stuff plus some tubes.... seems do-able. I don't transport bikes, but wonder if you really need those fancy "shoes" that the tires rest in... seems like if it's strapped to the tray, it's not going anywhere (I like the extendable tray feature)....Seems like the hinged tire support section would be easy. Attachment to van would be interesting... maybe aluminum rivnuts and oak or plastic blocks might work. Or pins going thru from inside the door panel...

Good video here: https://winnebagolife.com/2017/01/great-rack-a-winnebago-exclusive

Interesting questions posted below the video....

"How do you prevent theft of the rack and bikes? Seems to me all the thief has to do is unscrew the four knob bolts and carry off the rack and bikes."

and...

"This new rack does have some nifty features, the fact that you can remove it is one of them. But couldn’t someone (it might take two people) also just remove the rack with your bikes on it. It doesn’t do much good to cable your bikes to the rack if thieves can just walk away with the whole thing."

Not arguing, just intrigued by what it would take to design and build of a similar unit.... I love a design challenge!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was also wondering how the bikes are secured. I have a thule rack which is locked into the receiver hitch and has synch down hooks and cables that lock... and I still get nervous leaving the bikes unattended. The fancy shoes keep the bikes from bouncing around..
I do like the looks, but I think I will go with another thule receiver hitch type bike rack.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-t2-classic-2---125-_-1689773
But following this thread to see other peoples ideas.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to you guys I found it can now be bought through Winnebago $1100. Thank you Winston

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is the company that makes that rack: https://www.summit-products.com/ Just call them and place an order.
I did, well I tried.... But the receptionist said that they only sell them to Winnebago. I like this design better than the Fiamma; would be interested in knowing what the 'outrageously expensive' price actually is. [EDIT] Just caught the last post - $1,100! Yikes!

·
Registered
627 Posts
"How do you prevent theft of the rack and bikes? Seems to me all the thief has to do is unscrew the four knob bolts and carry off the rack and bikes."!
I was also wondering how the bikes are secured. I have a thule rack which is locked into the receiver hitch and has synch down hooks and cables that lock...
Rack theft could probably be prevented by using a RAM locking knob on one (or two) of the attachment points.
Our current plan includes a pair of conventional bike locking cables intertwined to secure wheels, frame and rack to that bullet-proof looking towing loop under the passenger side rear bumper. Those RAM knobs noted by Thom have the advantage of protecting the rack without cables (e.g. when the bikes are removed) so we will likely add that to the mix.

We're not familiar with the Thule but purchased the Winnebago rack to permit the opening of the back doors without having to remove the bikes. Further, the four point attachment of this rack (4 x 1/4" bolts through the rear passenger door below the window with reenforcing backing plates) seems to securely retain the bikes without the oscillations that we've observed with those single-point hitch mounting systems.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts