Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Promaster 2500 HR 159WB
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide how to mount my mountain bikes inside my PM and would love to see what methods everyone has come up with. Post some pictures and maybe a link to the parts used.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an internet friend that has a low top (gasp.. the audacity) and he stores 2 bikes inside, along with a bed and a small galley. He and his GF travel around with the van like this. I dont know the specifics on what he used, aside from 80/20 and plus nuts.. but maybe this will spark some ideas.

I have thrown around the idea on my own van to use one of the rocky mount fork mounts to put the bike beween my benches. Time will tell.

Good luck with the build!

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not the best pics, but here's how I mounted my electric fat tire bike. It's held in place with a wide fork mount that I modified with a piece of threaded rod and added two large wing nuts. The front tire just rests on the pedal and is held in place with a bungee. The entire platform is less than 12" wide and the handle bars fold down which saves a lot of space.
KIMG0105.JPG
KIMG0100.JPG
KIMG0106.JPG

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,006 Posts
Here is a video of an early prototype of our mounting system. The One Up racks are great for not having to take off the wheels. The pull out shelf has gotten narrower through interations and is now tall enough to have shoe and helmet storage underneath.

For four bikes, we move to wheels off installation. Here is an other early prototype. (I need to take some newer shots).

Bar width is an issue, but in our setup the side cabinets do not come all the way back. This leaves room for the bars.

Here is the current setup.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Hi,

I did the slide under the bed platform. If you do this just make sure that you have enough space under the platform. When I first designed it I didn't consider that the newer 29'r and 27.5 bikes are a little taller.

The platform is also good for working on bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
275 Posts
I just laid down some rubber sheeting to make it tougher and easier to clean, then screwed fork mounts to the 3/4 inch plywood floor. Mounted hooks and shock cords to hang the front wheels (and a spare set of wheels if needed) on the rear doors. I also mounted a horizontal hook on the driver's side door so that I can hang my bike from the front wheel so it doesn't blow over when it is windy. I can haul 3 bikes easily as is. I could easily add another fork mount and have 4 facing rearward. More if I stagger them facing in and out, but that would be a pain to load and unload without a sliding tray. I chose not to install a sliding tray because it would have forced me to mount the bed a couple inches higher.

I mounted a Quick Fist holder for the bike pump.

In the first picture, you can see my Peet's boot drier on the shelf above the toolbox (with shoes and helmet on it).

·
Registered
136" 2500 HR Gasser - Build Mode Activated
100 Posts

3 fixed mounts, staggered for the bars. Wheels go between the frames. Figured out I can get a 4th if needed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Those sliders look really low profile, supertrem. What slides did you use, and what material on the tray bottom and floor?
Thanks!

Slides: https://www.amazon.com/VADANIA-Industrial-Extension-Bearing-Widening/dp/B08C5CDXBV/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=vadania+heavy+duty+drawer+slides+48"&qid=1612998051&sr=8-5

1/2" baltic birch, my trays are 60" long. I just elevated enough to clear the stair edge. There is actually no "bottom" structure. It's just two side pieces all connected with L brackets secured directly to the floor and the trays themselves. Since it's just 2 side pieces and L brackets, laterally it's not 100% bomber (there is some flex) but fortunately they will never be weighted that way. Weighted straight down they are solid.

Anyways, the "party wall" that they both share was a little funky, added a strip of 1/8" plywood (lighter wood visible in pics) with cutouts for the existing L brackets to even it all out and screwed in another side piece of 1/2" BB to that, and i think more L brackets (lol) on the opposite side.

If I were to do it again I would probably do something more like melmike above and make the side piece one continuous piece of metal and screw that directly to the floor...

Pics make more sense than my attempt at words:

·
Registered
2016 Promaster 2500 HR 159WB
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is what I’m thinking. This allows the bed to be lower for the ability to sit upright.

·
Registered
2019-159 HR in CO
170 Posts
This is our slide drawer. We ended up moving it to the left side so we don't have to expose the bikes to remove our climbing stuff.

·
Registered
136" 2500 HR Gasser - Build Mode Activated
100 Posts
Here is what I’m thinking. This allows the bed to be lower for the ability to sit upright.

View attachment 71678 View attachment 71679 View attachment 71680
I guess it depends on your priorities and how much flexibility you want to have. For me, my build is a weekend warrior, so sitting in bed was not the priority. I have swivel front seats and a rear 2 person seat to sit in. Bed is for lounging, laying back and sleeping. My wife can sit up in the bed, but i'm just a bit too tall, however, when we are road tripping I find that all the other seats are fine places to sit.

Anyway, the cons I see to this approach are:
1) only 2 bikes. Will you ever need or want to take more than 2 bikes? Will you want to carpool with some other people but only discover there's no room for their bikes?
2) lack of versatility - maybe this works for the two bikes you have today, will you ever get a new bike? will it fit in this configuration?
3) That lateral load on the gravel bike's fork... i don't know, just worries me hanging sideways like that. not sure if those forks are meant to be loaded like that and bounced up and down.
4) access to the garage area when the bikes are in, I think it'd be really annoying to crawl under there from the front to get anything
5) Seems like a PITA mounting, just saying as someone who bikes 3-4 times a week, loading and unloading the bike shouldn't be frustrating and this seems kinda awkward and would get annoying fast.

So, anyway, Those would be the tradeoffs I see with the vertical mounting position. Up to you to weigh that with how important it is to sit up in bed.

Maybe also consider - is there a way to still have the bikes in a tray but still sit up in bed? Those ikea spanners takeup alot of vertical space. Can you change your bed platform design to be more vertically "thin"? Got a friend that can weld?

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is our slide drawer. We ended up moving it to the left side so we don't have to expose the bikes to remove our climbing stuff.
View attachment 71684

View attachment 71685
Looks like we have similar gear issues. that pesky crash pad! I recently moved my rockymounts mounts to be opposite. One in front, one in back, it takes up WAY less space (for me). Before it was just the two bikes, now I can get two bikes (pedals off) and the crash pad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts