Ram Promaster Forum banner

Bike Rack for 2500 ProMaster

9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  BJI 
#1 ·
Anyone have a recommendation of a bike rack for a ProMaster 2500 Cargo that will still allow you to open the door from the inside?

#4 ·
Thule T2 is more or less the go-to best rear rack. Many of my friends have these, it's great.
Kuat makes a decent rack, it looks fancy but isn't as durable or solid as the T2.
One Up USA makes great stuff but it's really pricey.

I have a Yakima HoldUp that I got for $50. It's worked for MTBs, road bikes, etc, for many years. It's not perfect, but I've been happy with it. I have NOT tried it on the ProMaster, so I can't confirm if the rear doors will still open, even when it is dropped down.

I've seen a few racks in build threads, surely you'll find something. We're just building our own racks inside the van since theft is rampant around here.

#9 ·
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
Also curious if anyone has used a hitch swing with a T2 or other similar rack with space for 4 bikes? The swing arms seem to address some of initial issue on this thread regarding opening of rear doors, albeit not from the interior. I'd be concerned with all of the weight hanging off center when pulled off to the side.

#10 · (Edited)
After months of lurking on here trying to figure out the bike rack situation, I decided to go with a hitch mounted, Thule T2 XT pro, on a Quat pivot v2 swing arm. Functionally it's great. I am able to fully open the back doors and use our outdoor kitchen. Additionally there is nothing touching the carbon bike frame. That is the problem with most of the racks I was seeing out there on the PM. For instance the really nice door mounted racks. The draw back is just how long it makes the van. With just two bikes it has got to be at least 4.5 feel longer. That's the compromise I had to make. I don't think I will ever extend to the four bike version. Maybe I'll add the door mounted rack some time later. We'll see.

#12 ·
I thought long and hard about the Lolo racks as well as the Velocirax, but neither seem to have much info on how they impact carbon road bikes. If my memory serves right the Lolo rack totally excludes road bikes. I would have loved to go in this direction and maybe I'll end up there eventually if their specs and documentation on road bikes improves.

#14 ·
Kinda going through the same hopes and thoughts of how to bring the bikes along. I like the idea of door mount vs. hitch (personal preference) and drew out my though in the design stages. I like them flat to the door so it doesn't increase van length (as much).

Should allow for greater than 90° door swing, yet doubt 180°. Off I go to find one and low & behold.. none unless custom built. I did find a few that built off of door ladders. Probably not just low demand I figure, yet something I'm missing about additional weight on the door?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.