Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To recapitulate: We picked up our 2021 159 HR in Missoula in June and months of forum-stalking, Youtube video watching and buying of unnecessary stuff morphed into angst and action. Polyiso, then 1/2 ply subfloor, Maxxair fan, Arctic Tern window, AMA window x 2 (broke 1), platform queen-sized bed using 2" steel angle iron, composting toilet, Truckfridge in a cabinet at the door with a drawer on top and a foldout table out the door, roughed in galley, water system, 5.3 gallon Isotherm heat exchange hot water heater, and with a shout-out to Nate Yarborough, I just finished the electrical system last Friday and nothing blew up. We took a maiden voyage with all the new stuff and there were some glitches. The Isotherm tank leaks at the metal to metal connections, not the metal to rubber connections, less after I cranked them down further with a wrench. Any other suggestions? The other problem is that the Espar controller doesn't recognize the heater. This was definitely an issue since it was 22 degrees yesterday morning. When I pressed the button, it said "no heater?" While on the Espar heater, where does the 5A fuse get attached? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
. The Isotherm tank leaks at the metal to metal connections, not the metal to rubber connections, less after I cranked them down further with a wrench. Any other suggestions?
Which fitting is leaking?

The outlet of the mixing valve is BST threads not NPT and it should have an adapter on it to convert the threads. Did you use Loctite 777 on the connections and let it cure? The pressure relief valve / drain will always drip a little when the water heats and expands so it should be connect to a hose with a straight run outside the van.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,447 Posts
My factory compression fitting at the hot water outlet was leaking when I installed my Isotemp. There's not enough pipe to cut it off, so my options were to try and pull it off or seal it. Tried sealing with plumbers putty first, and that seems to be working.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies, tgregg and aaronmcd. I was able to take a closer look in daylight and the leaking is happening from one of the coolant hose connections. I did apply Loctite for heat applications to the threads first. Aaron, was it water or coolant which was leaking in your case?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lost in all my verbiage was my other problem which was that the controller for my Espar heater doesn't recognize the heater. The heater has power, but when you activate the controller, it says "no heater." I also don't know where to connect the 5A fuse for the controller. I do have an email in to Espar tech help--no answer yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,447 Posts
Mine was the hot water outlet.
I did also have some coolant leaking issues using the heat shrink hose clamps with a lighter, but I solved that by getting a proper heat gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts