Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one go about plumbing up the walls or the van for fit out?

I want to build my own tool racking/shelving. It's important for me to have at least the driver side wall shelving plumbed and in plane as any sheet goods will be carried on edge and strapped to that side.

Do you use jacks to level the van front and rear or some other method?

Or is measuring the centerline of the roof and floor and pulling numbers off of those sufficient?

I plan on installing either 1x or 2x horrizontally top middle and bottom of the side walls then adding 1/2" or 3/4" plywood on top to fasten everything to. I use the space behind the plywood to store some longer thin items.

I have a feeling I'll need to go pickup or borrow some bottle jacks.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
I did the centerline thing. Discovered that the side walls below the windows are perpendicular to the floor... just used that as my reference. I fastened 3/4" plywood to the steel side "studs" directly with rivnuts, then worked off that.

I don't see a need to jack to van level to install stuff... It'll never be level once you put something in it! Mine leans a bit to the driver side. Maybe it's me (and the two AGM batteries in the couch behind me!)

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
Reactions: bkhi

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I meant to post this in the interior and shelving section.

I realize that day to day use the floor nor the walls will typically ever be level or plumb with gravity.

I prefer to use levels or lasers when furring out and plumbing walls square to floors instead of physical control lines or measuring off a square.

If a big square off the floor is how the rest of you guys do it I'll just leave it at that.

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
Get realistic here, it’s a van!

PS - I have a garage full of lasers and levels and have been a contractor for over 50 years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's alright I had a brain fart. I forgot I can lock the laser I have so it'll shoot perpendicular to the floor. Problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts