Ram Promaster Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021, 159, HR
36 Posts
"I installed the Dometic RTX 2000" (the link is mine; matches the product you specified).

Would you share why you chose it over one of the more common rooftop AC units people mention here, e.g. the Dometic Brisk II?

You mentioned it was expensive; how much did you pay for it--they don't seem to sell it normally to the public, more intended for commecial fleets as a temporary cooling solution?

·
Registered
2 Posts
From my perspective (I work with a rescue organization), it's not ever appropriate to leave an animal in a closed (i.e. not passively ventilated) vehicle for any length of time. Things happen...the rain stops and the sun comes out...you get delayed in returning...batteries run down...and so on. If you've never experienced it, try rolling up the windows and sitting in the van on a sunny day. You will be shocked at how hot it can get and how fast it gets there. It's just not worth the risk, and it's a horrible way to die.
THANKYOU! My Puppies Thank you! Leave the dogs somewhere safe please..............

·
Registered
2 Posts
"I installed the Dometic RTX 2000" (the link is mine; matches the product you specified).

Would you share why you chose it over one of the more common rooftop AC units people mention here, e.g. the Dometic Brisk II?

You mentioned it was expensive; how much did you pay for it--they don't seem to sell it normally to the public, more intended for commecial fleets as a temporary cooling solution?
They are about $3K

·
Registered
8 Posts

Yea, they don't sell directly. I got mine from van life outfitters, nomadic cooling has them as well, free shipping. I paid $2800 at the time, I think they are 3k now. I chose it because I wanted a 12v AC that I could used off grid without having to plug in. There are other brands that make 12v AC systems but I have had good experiences with Dometic so I went with them. Its only 6,824 BTU but the way my van is built out, including a lot of insulation and minimal windows, it works for me. They were originally made for Europe as they have strict no idling rules for truck drivers. On a side note I learned they were bringing them to US market very early. After trying to track them down I ended up talking with a very nice woman apparently high up in Dometic who was responsible for bringing them to the US market. So based on the conversation I went with Dometic when it became available.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yea, they don't sell directly. I got mine from van life outfitters, nomadic cooling has them as well, free shipping. I paid $2800 at the time, I think they are 3k now. I chose it because I wanted a 12v AC that I could used off grid without having to plug in. There are other brands that make 12v AC systems but I have had good experiences with Dometic so I went with them. Its only 6,824 BTU but the way my van is built out, including a lot of insulation and minimal windows, it works for me. They were originally made for Europe as they have strict no idling rules for truck drivers. On a side note I learned they were bringing them to US market very early. After trying to track them down I ended up talking with a very nice woman apparently high up in Dometic who was responsible for bringing them to the US market. So based on the conversation I went with Dometic when it became available.
What has been your experience with it? Power consumption, sound, ease of installation, etc. Any pics of the install? Curious if it's a good 'night-time' cooling option. We had a few road trips where we ended up having to get a hotel for a night since it was still 90F at 7pm when our son would go to sleep, would be nice if we had something to keep it cool through the night after having the van engine A/C already cooled the interior while driving.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Hi folks! Just got a Promaster that came converted. It is a 136wb with fixed sliding door window and fixed cargo door windows. It was a Maxxair fan over the bed in the rear. I got sun shades for all the windows, but even with the front windows cracked, the shades on, and the fan blowing it still gets pretty hot in the van. I used to have a Northstar TC650 pup up truck camper in my truck and it was super well ventilated with a single van and stayed cool, even on the hottest desert camping days. My assumption would be that I need to add windows that open and/or add another roof fan? I did just order these Overland Screens Airvents | Sprinter, ProMaster, and Transit Vans as I heard this makes a pretty big difference in keeping the van cool (with the fan running). We will likely leave our two mini schnauzers for up to 4-5 hours at a time. Normally its at a unpaved trail head, but sometimes in the woods and sometimes not. What are some of the best ways to keep these dudes comfy and cool? Thanks! View attachment 86459
Can you tell me a little more about the open shelving over your bed and stove. It's very cool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What has been your experience with it? Power consumption, sound, ease of installation, etc. Any pics of the install? Curious if it's a good 'night-time' cooling option. We had a few road trips where we ended up having to get a hotel for a night since it was still 90F at 7pm when our son would go to sleep, would be nice if we had something to keep it cool through the night after having the van engine A/C already cooled the interior while driving.
So I haven't been on a trip with it yet but I have some very basic unofficial data. First off its a little difficult to install only because of the weight, 70 lb I think, then trying to work on a tiny roof. Mine was actually kind hard because I had to basically drop my finished ceiling. If you were thinking about it or might do it one day, and your about to build your van.... just do it. You'll save yourself a lot of headache. I took out one of my Maxxair fans and made the hole slightly bigger, then dropped the AC in. I also ordered the roof template and gasket from DIY Vans. That helped a lot too. The wiring is beyond simple.

As for the data.... everyone is going to be different. Nomatic has some good power consumption videos on YouTube. I have only "tested" it in the day as I was concerned about leaving the dog during those hours. My Victron monitor says I can run it on full blast for about 8 hours.

Few factors here:
its in the day so I'm making power from the panels (480w on the roof).
I also have 350ah of lithium batteries.

Based on the nomadic videos it seems like 100ah of lithium will run the AC for 2 hours without any solar coming in. So let that be your guide.

The dometic does have an eco mode so depending on what you need that could extend the run time. The noise is not something the bothers me but it's not silent. On full blast its a little loud but its all fan/wind noise. You barely hear the compressor. Eco mode helps the noice a lot.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts