Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the "best" location for a vent fan (Fantastic Vent/MaxxAir Fan)? I'm sure that there has been a lot of discussion on this topic in the various build threads, but I thought that I would ask the question in order to get as many opinions as possible. Also, I'm sure that the ideal location depends on what you want the fan to do.

My plan is to build a camper conversion in my 159 WB hightop van. My main goal for the fan is to help keep temperatures inside the van down, especially when sleeping. I had originally planned to install a vent fan centered over the bed in the back of the van, thinking that I could use it as an exhaust fan, or use it in the reverse direction as a ceiling fan. Then I read somewhere that the fan doesn't work very well in ceiling fan mode unless you flip the blades over (something that I wouldn't plan to do on a regular basis). So now I'm wondering if it would be better to install the fan in a more central location so that it vents both the front and rear of the van, and can help vent the kitchen, which would be installed close to the sliding door. I would probably buy a separate Fantastic Fan to provide air circulation in the sleeping area.

Anyway, curious to hear others' thoughts, particularly those that have experience with a specific installation location.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,826 Posts
One feature of the forward standard position that I've never seen mentioned is that the passenger can reach the controls on the fan without unbuckling. This is good for when you forgot to close, etc…

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
My kitchen is close to the sliding door and my Fantastic Vent is in the forward position in the raised section which allows a flat cut out if 14" square and centered bot side to side and front to back in the skylight position. It works Fantastically if i must pun. You'll love it there. I bought it new for $114 from an ebay seller shipped. 3 speed, reversible, a great fan. Vents the kitchen great and keeps any fumes from my smoke/CO detector in the back.
Best

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mine is at the very, very back. Primary reason is the rest of the roof will be covered in solar panels. Secondary reason is that I can open the front windows a bit and it can pull air the length of the van, figure a slightly better air exchange that way.

·
Super Moderator
10,677 Posts
Mine is just the opposite. Open the rear window by the bed and the fan on the roof behind the front seats will draw the air thru and out the roof, quietly. No air or fan noise blowing on you all night long. Solar panels are on the rear of the van where it's easier to install them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did used for an AirVent service door (round opening) in a cab designated for a diesel tank service.
As soon as I finish moving inverter (was on a way) will post pictures.

Reactions: dmsdms2000

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would not recommend putting one over the bed. While most fans do a good job of keeping the water out, with blowing rain or a high temperature difference they still can drip water on occasion.

Where ever you put it, make sure you have a good cross flow of air from the exhaust fan to whatever other windows or vent you may be using. That makes a big difference in how efficiently the fan can cool the van.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
192 Posts
My strategy is to have two Maxxfan Deluxe's (the one with the cover that raises). One is centered all the way to rear. My two 327 watt panels (61" x 41") will be mounted crossways in the middle with a 6" gap in between for combiner box and tank vent. The second fan is mounted in front behind the driver as far to the side as I could get it so that it will be in the bath ceiling. The bath fan will normally vent outward and the rear fan inward giving effective ventilation (hopefully) at low quiet speeds. I plan to bridge the two PV panels with aluminum flashing for streamlining and possibly some flashing to fair in the front panel edge.

The front fan was extra work to install to the side because of the irregular top metal in that area. I had to be careful to shim it to a level plane so that the flexible mounting flange wasn't distorted. I used polyester putty in the gaps so that everything stayed in position when I secured the flange with screws through the roof metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
^^Could you not have had the front one over a bit so it was in the sunroof area, but still in the bath area?

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
192 Posts
Myke
I certainly would have preferred to do that. My bath is a total of 28" wide including 1" divider wall thickness and I didn't want the fan right against the divider wall. I put the fan as far to the side as I could but only have an inch or so clearance to my bath wall. If I had located the fan fully in the skylight indentation it would extend fully to the centerline of the van.

Even though our vans are almost seven feet wide, the actual flat roof is only around 64". And box beams around the wall to roof interface get in the way of roof mounting in that area. Bill

.......^^Could you not have had the front one over a bit so it was in the sunroof area, but still in the bath area?

Reactions: myke
1 - 10 of 11 Posts