1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I got dobermin’s mini latches from a USA supplier and..... Meh. They are very small and will refuse to pop out occasionally. I paid more too, about $4/. They are way better than my fist ones for drawers.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Good to hear from folks who have experience with specific ones. They seem to all be from China and highly variable (quality and price), as usual. I saw some at Lee Valley ($20-$30 CAD each!).

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,031 Posts
To massively misquote Casablanca, I'm shocked. Shocked to find that cheap products produce inconsistent or unsatisfactory results.

I'm not that far along in my build, but I'd expect Southco latches to be good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
In an effort to keep costs down I used the cheap ones that need a 20mm hole. I ordered six of these and they are all plastic and very light duty. I am only happy with the cost of them not the quality, one fell to pieces and I doubt the others will last very long. I still don't think I can justify the cost of the Leevalley ones but I am going to try something else in the remainder of the build.

https://www.banggood.com/Push-Butto...-p-1142767.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
eBay

I got my push button latches from eBay. They were only a few bucks each and they've lasted for the last 2 years with no problems. They look like metal but they are plastic.

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
I also got mine from Hardware Hut. Plastic but $4 each and no problems in 2 years. Buy a few extra at this price ;)

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
We prefer Southco M1 push-to-close latches over the push button type. Low profile (won't snag on clothing in tight quarters) and easier to operate (pull open/slam shut). Very good industrial quality. Their adjustable prevailing torque hinges are also great for holding doors open in any position.

Bathroom overhead storage in our Sprinter:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
We prefer Southco M1 push-to-close latches over the push button type. Low profile (won't snag on clothing in tight quarters) and easier to operate (pull open/slam shut). Very good industrial quality. Their adjustable prevailing torque hinges are also great for holding doors open in any position.
Which model hinge? Can't tell if yours are the light-torque (E6-10-301-20) or heavy-torque (E6-10-501-20).

·
Registered
67 Posts
For what it's worth I bought push button locks from Hardware Hut last week. Two broke on installation. Several were mis-threaded. I subsequently ordered the plastic push button locks from Sea Dog for roughly the same price and they are leaps and bounds better in quality that the ones from Hardware Hut. I personally recommend these over the HH ones. If you are looking for even higher duty Sea Dog offers some with steel parts which I imagine, based on how well their plastic ones are made, are almost indestructible.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
That's a good reminder to check marine suppliers for RV stuff. It's usually more expensive, but the quality is usually better too. I found similarly priced, good quality, plastic push-button latches at our local Lee Valley. Installing them today ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts