Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of websites that let you design foam cushions with custom sizes/density/upholstery. For a basic couch/futon in a van, does anyone have any company they've purchased from which they'd highly suggest or steer clear from?

Anyone have general feelings on an ideal thickness of foam (or type of foam?) for the butt pad or the back pad? (they'll be separate pieces)

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
I think 4" is pretty much standard. Everything else is pretty much what you can find or afford. I just bought 4" foam panels that were close enough in size and cut them to fit then the wife got mattress covers from Walmart and adjusted them to fit.

As you say lots of sources online and easy enough to find local people that will make up whatever you want to pay or can afford. I paid about $25 each for two single bed blanks and about $10 each for the covers. Tough to beat that price!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Electric carving knife works great to cut foam to size if you are in a DIY frame of mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When we got a used RV a decade ago we went to a mattress place in the industrial area. They glued a 2" memory foam top on a 4" medium density foam base. We slept great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
I stumbled across this place with a quick search http://www.foambymail.com/ I just sent them a message and asked if they can do a custom futon size or suggest a foam that would bend like a futon since our main bed folds to a couch. currently we are using a very thin mattress out of and old pop up camper that we cut into 2 pieces 26"x73" , its to thin and I don't like the seam in the middle. for a mattress 73" x 53" x 5" with their middle of the road foam we were at $280 with zipper cover. I didn't think that was to bad.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm an upholsterer. I do motorcycle and sidecar seats. The foam Factory in Detroit Mich is a very reliable source of good foam. That is unusual these days IME. I'm a real fan of their thick chopped rebonded foam. I get 2' x 8' slabs that are 2" thick for about $100. Very firm and comfortable stuff! Good high density foam isn't cheap.

Then just make your own covers!

Reactions: Jandyweb

·
Registered
468 Posts
I emailed the place I linked which seems to be the same place Rich said he likes and they are sending me samples of all there foam free of charge to see what foam I like best.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,126 Posts
Hi,
We got our mattresses at a local futon mattress place. They were willing to take a queen size mattress and cut into our two mattresses of different sizes for our conversion -- they did not charge anything for the cutting.

Our mattresses are 5 inches thick and are made of two layers of different density foam. Very comfortable -- I like them better than regular home mattresses.

We had a local seamstress sew up covers.

I don't remember the prices but pretty reasonable.

Gary

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,825 Posts
i started with a mattress from a futon shop that I had used previously in the truck tent. Extremely comfortable until it gave out--smushed flat under my butt anddidnt recover.

Second attempt was the firmer option from the Foam Factory. Too firm, and I generally like firm.

Third attempt was Hd36 from Foam Factory. Better, but not as comfortable as the first before it gave out

I saved about $50 each time by buying the standard full-size mattress and cutting it myself into three 2' x 4' sections. Cutting is easy with a sharp knife--does not have to be electric.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts
I cut foam with my band saw... that works well too!

My cushion foam was ordered by the guy who made out cushions (at an upholstery shop). He mostly does cushions for boats, so the van was an easy transition and he did a great job.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I used a regular knife and then tried the electric knife. So much better cutting foam. Like hot knife through butter. Like buttah!! 4" angle grinder for sculpting curves in the foam is a bit beyond what is needed for a van seat or bed. But both tools work extremely well for cutting and sculpting foam.

I first used the chopped rebonded foam like Rich Maud mentioned but had a better seat using a Cashel closed cell saddle pad for my seat on the CB250 Nighthawk saddle sore 1000 ride. It would be rather expensive for a Van seat or bed. However 17 hours and 40 minute ride later my rear end was still happy. Closed cell foam helps prevent getting water logged on a bike. Again, the Cashel pad is overkill for inside a van.

The lady friend is wanting to try a Purple Bed pad when we get around to making the bed in the PM.

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
252 Posts
Seat cushions: 4" memory foam/medium density foam mattress topper... reasonable cost (approx $135 for queen size) and quite comfortable.

Foam cut with electric knife... only way to go.

DIY covers... lots of work but rewarding.

Sleeping comfort... 4" topper is fine for 1 night, but after a 4 night trip I decided I needed another couple inches of foam. Purchased a 2" memory foam topper and added a bedsheet sleeve... all better.

https://vancave.wordpress.com/cargo-van-overview/cargo-van-seating/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts