Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to get recommendations from those of you who have considered several layout options for your Promaster conversion. I am starting with a clean slate on my new (used) 2014 Promaster 136" and really think I want a convertible full size bed pulling out from the wall adjacent the sliding door, right behind driver seat. This seems like it would give us the most utility of the sofa as it will have better access to the outside when we pull up to the ocean, etc. I also really like the walk through capability to the rear. Is this truly feasible, and any recommendations for sofa/bed design? I have seen several options on this forum and still not sure which is best for someone who is not a power lifter. Pictures or videos are much appreciated! Thanks!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,519 Posts
The best floor plan is the one you like best. Seriously. That's the beauty of this grownup pinewood derby--we each get what we like. There is no right or wrong or generally best plan.

If I understand your description, I don't recall one like that, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work well. Mock it up, play with it, go for it.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
BF17,

MS pretty much summed it up... ain't no best floorplan!

That being said, there is a floorplan thread that may get you thinking.... http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53962

If you reverse the location of my kitchen (cabinet) and driver side couch, it sounds close to what you're thinking of. The "full size" part I'm not sure about.... are you thinking about sleeping parallel to the side wall, or parallel to the back doors along the side wall with feet close to the slider?

Welcome,
ed

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,

You might want to take a look at this video:
The 2nd interior they look at is somewhat similar to what you want to do. It was actually one of two layouts we came down to. The other (which we went with) has two beds/seats running fore and aft at the back of the van with an aisle up the middle. Details here: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/our-promaster-camper-van-conversion-interior-layout/

The RV we had before the PM was a commercial class B Coachman. It had a sofa that converted to a bed -- at first glance it looked great. BUT, the convertible sofa made a truly awful bed -- it was bad enough that we ended up redoing the whole interior to get a full time bed in the back, and we were much happier with that.
So, if you go with the convertible couch I would make sure you get a chance to try it before you commit -- make sure its a reasonable bed. One thing I have noticed is that some people who start with a convertible sofa bed end up going to a permanent bed that does not have to be opened and closed each night -- but, I'm sure some find the convertible arrangement fine.

I'd also recommend that you do a simple full size mockup of most favorite layout(s) -- you can use cardboard and scrap wood or any furniture you have around -- easy to do in half a day, and it really gives you a better idea what living with your interior will be like.

MS is 100% correct -- the greatest thing about doing your own conversion is getting things like YOU want them -- just be sure to also take her advice on mocking it up.

Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BF17,

MS pretty much summed it up... ain't no best floorplan!

That being said, there is a floorplan thread that may get you thinking.... http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53962

If you reverse the location of my kitchen (cabinet) and driver side couch, it sounds close to what you're thinking of. The "full size" part I'm not sure about.... are you thinking about sleeping parallel to the side wall, or parallel to the back doors along the side wall with feet close to the slider?

Welcome,
ed

Ed,
By full size, I simply mean a bed for two vs. twin/single. It would be 6 feet long (feet toward front) by 4.5 feet wide - parallel to the slider. That link didn't seem to work for me. Can you send it again? Thanks!
Jacqueline

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts