Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Promaster is a fairly easy audio upgrade.

We offer a kit which includes 3 linear ft of Thinsulate(TM) (enough for both cab doors) and our CNC machined PVC (not mdf) adapter rings (with proper bevel) for a variety of after-market speaker cut-out diameters. We offer these to Transit and Sprinter folks so didn't want the ProMaster crew to feel left out. Our adapters (as you can see below) provide a much more secure mounting than a flimsy plastic ring. We also back our adapters with VHB tape for a secure rattle free connection to the door structure. Great way to improve audio quality and also reduce road noise with a bit of thermal benefit also.

A good place to compare speakers is on Crutchfield. Then shop on price at the other online stores. Or go to your local Car Stereo Shop. If retaining the stock head unit, look for speakers with more efficiency and lower watt ratings. Many of the higher end speakers will demand more power than the factory audio system can deliver. One way to offset this is to add a powered sub like the Alpine PWE-S8. The amp in the sub will drive the bass tones which then reduces the need for the door speakers and head unit to create the power hungry lower audio frequencies.
I am wanting to order your kit, and wondering what size bezel I need? I ordered MTX Terminator6S speakers from Crutchfield and they say that 4.875 is the I.D.? Does this jive with you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
All, I replaced the factory door speakers with a pair of Kenwood KFC-1666s. I can’t really notice much improvement over stock ones. Bass is poor. I did none of the sound deadening. I screwed right through plastic into door metal for mounting. any suggestions?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Probably just the speakers. I had kickers in my 2014 for awhile. Then I ran Pioneer speakers for awhile. Both improvements, neither mind blowing. In my 2019 I installed JL Audio. Huge improvement. Crutchfield recommend the JL Audio for maximum performance with stock head unit. They were right.,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Probably just the speakers. I had kickers in my 2014 for awhile. Then I ran Pioneer speakers for awhile. Both improvements, neither mind blowing. In my 2019 I installed JL Audio. Huge improvement. Crutchfield recommend the JL Audio for maximum performance with stock head unit. They were right.,
Dwight, Which JL Audio model did you install?

·
Registered
829 Posts
All, I replaced the factory door speakers with a pair of Kenwood KFC-1666s. I can’t really notice much improvement over stock ones. Bass is poor. I did none of the sound deadening. I screwed right through plastic into door metal for mounting. any suggestions?
Get rid of the tweeters in the A pillar. They sound awful.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
To my ears, the A pillar tweeters are a good match for the factory door speakers. When I added JBL 2 way (woofer and tweeter with crossover) door speakers a while back, the A pillar tweeters sounded too harsh and "tweety". My solution was to pop off the small tweeter grill, put a pice of duct tape over the perforated area (on the inside, of course) and snap the covers back in. So, electrically, the are still there, but accoustically they are basically missing. That has worked out well, and A pillar trim removal was not required.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I taked with Crutchfield tech support about by poor bass from Ken 1666s and they recommend installing an amp. Is this common for those that replaced speakers? Did you add an amp also?

·
Registered
89 Posts
W

what sub did you use?
From the other thread:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went with these Focal speakers in the doors and pillars. The tweeters in the pillars aren’t that hard to replace and since the stock teeeters are awful it’s well worth doing. You really need to put some sound dampening in the doors and some sound absorbing mat will really help.

PS 165 FX Component Kit - Focal
Did you also install the crossover or just the speakers? If you did install the crossover what was that experience like?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts