Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Clarion 2 ways in the door and unplugged the pillar tweeters. 4 ch Pioneer amp with the front channels powering the Clarions and the rear channels bridged to power a Bazooka sub I mounted in the space above the headliner...All still going through the Uconnect 5...Very happy with the sound!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a fantastic video on YouTube to change out your door speakers and tweeters. Everyone here including me has stayed away from changing them out because of the perceived difficulty. I previously put new door speakers in a while back, but now with this video, I’m changing out the tweeters to Focal TWU 1.5
Is it PM specific? Can you link to the vid?
Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have some pics and info in my build thread for replacing the door speakers and installing a head unit that may help out some if anyone is going to be doing it themselves soon. I installed a head unit that has Android Auto and it is very nice to be able to just tell the stereo what music to play (you say "ok google" and then whatever you want) and even ask it questions just like you would an Alexa device at home or similar. Same as Apple Car Play if you have an iphone. The head unit plays anything you can throw at it also. movies, tv, etc.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Alpine 6.5 components in factory locations, 4.5 alpine two ways in the top of the dash above the vents, 5.4 alpine two ways in the foam blocks locations above the front seats facing backwards. One 12" sub under the rear couch. One 4 channel alpine amp and one mono block alpine amp for the sub. Six channel dash mounted pre amp for volume, sub, and eq controls with my phone as the head unit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Alpine 6.5 components in factory locations, 4.5 alpine two ways in the top of the dash above the vents, 5.4 alpine two ways in the foam blocks locations above the front seats facing backwards. One 12" sub under the rear couch. One 4 channel alpine amp and one mono block alpine amp for the sub. Six channel dash mounted pre amp for volume, sub, and eq controls with my phone as the head unit.
That has to sound pretty good. So far, I'm happy with my Polk 6.5s in the doors! My rig has a house stereo with a sub for the back though. I put all infinity reference stuff in that and it sounds very good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking for input on REAR speaker location and speaker choice. Has anyone put rear speakers up high on the rear doors above the window glass in pods?

That would allow me to open the doors and direct sound outside. . .

Do you prefer 6.5 Coaxials or 6x9's for more bass response?

Are 2 speakers upfront and 2 in the rear enough? Or is 6 better?

My plan is to keep the factory U5 and add these items (that I bought off craigslist):

Audio Control LC2i to get a clean signal into the amp
Kenwood 5 channel amp putting out 40Wx4 and 300Wx1
JL Audio - 8 inch micro sub

I'm still deciding on components but I've been happy with Polk, Fosgate and JL on other builds. Maybe these since they are also Marine rated- with coaxials in the back

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
I went with these Focal speakers in the doors and pillars. The tweeters in the pillars aren’t that hard to replace and since the stock teeeters are awful it’s well worth doing. You really need to put some sound dampening in the doors and some sound absorbing mat will really help.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/performance/expert/component-kits/ps-165-fx

@30 Ounce or others who have added speakers with separate crossovers, where did you locate them? I know the speaker wires run behind the glove box (passenger side) and BCM (drivers side), but haven’t taken everything apart yet to investigate further.

I’m using the Van Compass strut spacer instructions, since they do a nice job of showing how the lower dash can be disassembled.

·
Registered
473 Posts
@30 Ounce or others who have added speakers with separate crossovers, where did you locate them? I know the speaker wires run behind the glove box (passenger side) and BCM (drivers side), but haven’t taken everything apart yet to investigate further.

I’m using the Van Compass strut spacer instructions, since they do a nice job of showing how the lower dash can be disassembled.

I mounted the crossovers in the door with double faced foam tape I use at work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm lazy I know, but sometimes I like to listen to loud sounds without intruding on others. I have a jbl soundbar that I can put anywhere, (aimed at me) and good headphones for early mornings or late nights. No installation and as upgradeable as you want. If I'm driving the stock radio and Bluetooth are more than fine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Has anyone surface mounted tweeters?
Is it weird to quote yourself :p

I surface mounted my tweeters . I took out the stock tweeters and drilled a hole in the grill and mounted the tweeters on top. Worked great and I can actually aim them.

Thinking about adding a powered woofer under the driver's seat.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Speaker on driver side door has gone bad.
Ordered from Crutchfield with tools to pull panels, speaker mounting bracket, new tweeters, instructions and tech support, a slight sound upgrade.
$80.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
308 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sound Insulation Needed

In my doors I added some Boom Mat baffles from amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039Z3SRA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They help direct the sound forward and not into the door frame. They sit like a bucket for your speakers. Cutting a 2" hole in the bottom edge I found really helps the sound. I don't exactly know why, but a install tech taught me that trick.
Good point, thanks.
I have a bunch of insulation panels, foam insulation spray and reflectix, going to try some combination.
Will see how it flows.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
308 Posts
I added some FatMat/DynaMat/noico etc... to my door interiors as well as under the dash to help keep things quite. Carpeting the cab helps also. I have a factory partition so things are pretty quite in our van

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with these Focal speakers in the doors and pillars. The tweeters in the pillars aren’t that hard to replace and since the stock teeeters are awful it’s well worth doing. You really need to put some sound dampening in the doors and some sound
How do do approach the sound dampening? I thought the plastic door cover will be the issue i was thinking on put some kind of clear silicone around the clips

·
Registered
506 Posts
I added noico all over the door, stuffed wool in the speaker hole, and cut a piece of mass loaded vinyl with decouoler that matched the door card.

I would have loved to have glued thinsulate to the area the window goes but I'm guessing it gets pretty wet

21 - 40 of 51 Posts