Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3500 ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we bought our Promaster it has the Bench seat. At first we thought about swapping it out with a single seat, but decided to keep the bench. After looking online, I did find the Ducato Swivel seat on Ebay. Watched a video of one installed on a Right hand drive and it looked promising. I was thinking of engineering my own, but decided to just buy the one from Ebay (European Model) and have it shipped here. It finally arrived last night and I installed it this morning. It took about 1 hr to install. I will have to look further at the wiring to see if there is enough currently to allow it to swivel or if I will make a couple new harnesses with new connectors. Ram at least made the connectors really easy to connect and disconnect so that is a plus. It raises the seat about 2" but I still have plenty of head room at 6' tall. Overall it works well. There is a little learning curve to get it locked in place and unlocked and swiveled, but sure I will get a better grasp on it over time. It takes loosening the handles and then maneuvering the seat around. Then you just lock one handle back in place.
I took pictures and video during the install and hope to get a youtube video when I can edit the videos together.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
You're the first as far as I know.
The next person to do it will probably have a shop lower the base, based on your install..

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3500 ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The side is pretty close, but that little curve shouldn't make a difference. The height is added just because of having room for the plates to move around. Plus the wiring underneath the base. I guess you could refabricate the actual seat bars, but that is a lot of work probably.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Completely awesome, if I was doing this again I would definitely consider getting a bench and putting in a swivel. I'd also take a shot a lowering the base, maybe.

I am now envisioning a pop up footrest that attaches to the seat base, like a recliner.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3500 ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ebay link

Had to get an invoice, because they didn't have a calculated shipping to the US. Overall cost was around $600. Shipping is pricey.

·
Registered
264 Posts
When we bought our Promaster it has the Bench seat. At first we thought about swapping it out with a single seat, but decided to keep the bench. After looking online, I did find the Ducato Swivel seat on Ebay. Watched a video of one installed on a Right hand drive and it looked promising. I was thinking of engineering my own, but decided to just buy the one from Ebay (European Model) and have it shipped here. It finally arrived last night and I installed it this morning. It took about 1 hr to install. I will have to look further at the wiring to see if there is enough currently to allow it to swivel or if I will make a couple new harnesses with new connectors. Ram at least made the connectors really easy to connect and disconnect so that is a plus. It raises the seat about 2" but I still have plenty of head room at 6' tall. Overall it works well. There is a little learning curve to get it locked in place and unlocked and swiveled, but sure I will get a better grasp on it over time. It takes loosening the handles and then maneuvering the seat around. Then you just lock one handle back in place.
I took pictures and video during the install and hope to get a youtube video when I can edit the videos together. View attachment 66026 View attachment 66027

rtb - how much wiggle room is in the base when the seats are not locked down? Im wondering if this would work in a rear seat application, but where it would only need to swivel 90 degrees; facing forward when driving, swivel 90 degrees to face the slider when parked.

·
Registered
2017 3500 ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the_alpine- If the seat is not locked down with the clamp bolts, it is easily moved. You could just drill two holes in the base plate and use a quick release pin to lock it in place.

·
Registered
264 Posts
the_alpine- If the seat is not locked down with the clamp bolts, it is easily moved. You could just drill two holes in the base plate and use a quick release pin to lock it in place.
So in addition to its swiveling movement, does it have some type of lateral movement as well? Like does it "slide" on the plates?

·
Registered
2017 3500 ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the swivel movement is because it slides on plates. The top plate has a triangle cutout and the bottom is just a bolt I believe. The triangle cutout has a round plate on top to keep the plate from coming off. This allows you to move in different directions.
If you watch the video I made, at about the 8 minute mark shows the plates. The 10minute mark shows the actual seat moving.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, the swivel movement is because it slides on plates. The top plate has a triangle cutout and the bottom is just a bolt I believe. The triangle cutout has a round plate on top to keep the plate from coming off. This allows you to move in different directions.
If you watch the video I made, at about the 8 minute mark shows the plates. The 10minute mark shows the actual seat moving.
Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
So you need to keep the seat cover off then to reach the pins to make it swivel? Do you have it open or is there a way to clean it up (hide the bars/wires) while still being functional?

·
Registered
2017 3500 ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just put the back panel on for now with the three screws at the top. You can't put the bottom in correctly, because the cover hits the knobs. I can still access the knobs from the front and keep the wiring kinda hidden.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts