Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I hope to visit the USA and Canada during one year, or less, with my wife.
I am now gathering all the info I think I need for this operation.

One of my concerns is the RV that I would like to transfer to the states: A Fiat Ducato 2.3 base with a Chausson Sweet Mini coach on it.

I hope to learn a lot of you al.
Olease, excuse my langquage and style ;)

CU!

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
Welcome Ben looking forward to hearing all about your adventure!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,498 Posts
I looked up your motor home. It is indeed "sweet"! Haven't seen anything like it this side of the water.

I hope you enjoy our country as much as we enjoyed yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for responding.
One of my major concerns is fnding a service point for my ducato (same as Dodge Ram Promaster, I think).
How do I find a service point when Ihave some technical issues?
Is there a service net list?
Can anyone advice me on that?

Thanks All!!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
When you get here most small cities have Ram truck dealers and many of them will have experience with everything EXCEPT the engine/emissions systems. That diesel is not sold here as we have the 3.0 diesel and the comfort-matic transmission only in our Ram Promasters. Our diesel fuel is not quite as good as yours we are told. I have no idea if that will affect your motor home.
Google maps will be your friend to find a Ram Truck dealer almost anywhere. I have used it to find one when I needed service in the far south and there was a good one within 15 km of where I was!

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
Ben you probably won't have an easy time getting service on your Ducatto in the USA from Ram dealers. Your engine is different and has different emissions controls than US spec diesels have. Regular maintenance such as oil changes, etc should be no problem anywhere. Your brakes may also be different and not available here. Glass windshields arè readily available as are most body parts, etc.

The good news is you have joined this forum and there are many people here that can and will help you if have any problems. Unless your van is trouble prone I wouldn't expect any problems. Many of us have had our Promasters for two years with no unusual service issues other than warrentee work that is to be expected when a new model is introduced in a market. Your warrantee will not be honored in the US I'm afraid.

Several members have seen Ducatto vans from Europe in the US driven by people who are doing exactly what you plan on doing. I think you will have no service problems here but it would be wise to have your van serviced at home before you ship it here just be sure it's in top operating condition.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The closer country were the Fiat Ducato 2.3 diesel can be found is Mexico. Don't know which emissions level they use there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for responding. Sorry for not reacting yet (bussy....organizing).
I will have my Ducato in tiptop condition and prepared when I ship the vehicle, probably in june 2017.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm wondering if the import rules, or the port-of-entry regulations for a temporary visit would be lessened if you chose a Mexican or Canadian Port of entry and drove the van through customs as a tourist?

Between the shipping charges plus insurance then whatever fees & modifications & inspections are required perhaps it would pay to lease or long-term rent a Class-B RV?

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&sa=1&q=class+b+RV&oq=class+b+RV

We've seen plenty of internet adventures where EU citizens fly in and buy an used RV or car cheaply and drive coast to coast to then sell/dump their transport and fly back home, that is probably the best results for your dollars. June would be peak price season for purchasing in Northern destinations but adjusting entry/exit areas according to season might be where some deals could be found around Florida or the Gulf Coast, just something to think on if you can arrange the itinerary around actually buying low & selling high at either end of your trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Getting Prepared and almost starting!

Dear all, sorry for not responding some time!
My plans have developped into details since then and we will ship the RV mid June. End June we will start in Halifax.

Globally, we are heading to Niagara, Washington, Memphis, New Orleans, Houston. In march 2018 we will continue to the west and north, up to Alaska and cross through Canada to Halifax again.

I am encouraged by your information about the service that I can expect. The RV will come in tip-top with new brakes, filters etc. I hope for adequate road assistance by AAA etc.

In december we will reach Tucson. Is there a good/trusted service point to do some standard maintenance (oil-change etc.)?
Can I email that service point [because most webforms and bots do not reply...]?

What type of spare parts should I bring in, 'in case of'....?
Hope you can help again! CU!

Btw: I checked the rates and odds for renting/bying. It still is much more expensive than having my RV shipped and driving my own stuff, considering the roudtrip takes a year.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I spend the winters in a small town about 2 hours from Tucson. I have a 3.0 diesel and change my own oil. You are welcome to stop at my house with the oil and filter and any other service you know how to do and I will gladly assist. Our next fall schedule is to be home there from mid October until Mid January, be gone for a month and return there from mid to late February until late April.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Ben you are invited! Plans are just beginning at this time. We are all retired and can’t handle schedules or remember them either! Look up Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument and come down to SW AZ!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome and hope your trip goes smoothly. I would look into if the usual maintenance items are commonly found in the states. Things like oil filter, fuel filter, head light bulbs. The usual wear and tear items you usually need in Europe. Worst case you will need to get parts shipped across the big pond if something odd breaks.

When traveling between Washington DC and Memphis, take some time and check out the Appalachian Mountains. The Great Smoky Mountains National park is one of the most visited national parks. Could be because there is no fee to visit it. I'm sure folks all along your travel route will mention places to visit.

Any chance you are from North of Groningen?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts