Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all the do it yourselfers who shared their ambitious projects on this forum. It inspired me to make this happen. This is the U.R.S. taking shape in my shop. Designed as a working prototype for my 2014 159 high Promaster. Shown are the first 3 of 4 sections in partial stages of completion. When complete the four sections will be approximately 128 x 72" and fill the entire wall behind the drivers seat providing organization for my tools, supplies, and paperwork. The system should remain under 300 lbs when completed and is made out of 3/8" high impact ABS plastic. 8 Dewalt parts organizers lock in place in their respective slots for my larger parts. 12 other slots allow me to put my other specialty kits in a designated area as well (rivet kit, glass cutting kit, electical kit, etc.) . The entire system is built with a 4 degree lean to allow me to strap large sheets of material against it, up to 6 x 10, for transport and to keep my parts and organizers from bouncing out. The bottom is undercut to allow me to store my stepladders out of the way with a single bungee. I can also remove the ladder and accept pallets 24" and under at full width. The bigger holes in the unit on the right will be for the tool bags that I load and unload multiple times per day (hammer drill bag, grinder bag, sawzall bag) These can get stuffed and unstuffed with little care or regard. More sensitive tools will stay in their big plastic hard cases and be slid safely in the lowest open area. More pics and more features to come soon. I hope to have this finished and installed within the week. After that I will correct any issues, make the improvements, and hopefully offer a few copies for sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the encouragement folks. Here is another pic from today. I am at about 80% completion. The unit on the right is my mobile desk with a cherry top and a maple rail, both recycled from my huge collection of "stuff" in my shop. There is a shelf below the wood to hold my laptop and my paperwork. The desk area will have a printer and a monitor when time and money permit. I stuffed the rest of the rack with random items to give it a better appearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do you source the abs material? Easy to work with?
The key to my system is that I have a CNC router and I cut plastics (such as ABS) on a regular basis. 3/8 ABS is special order but not hard to get. Just a few weeks lead time. Most of the rack is 3/8 but I used 1/4. 3/16. and 1/8 anywhere I could for cost and weight. These thickness sheets are on the shelf at any plastic supplier. Black is the most common. White is available. I don't believe any other colors are out there. It is super easy to work with. It cuts, drills, and routes like butter and you can use regular woodworking blades and bits. It also bonds fantastic with the right solvent. It is pretty much unbreakable and you will not crack or shatter it drilling or pounding on it. The one drawback is that is is very flexible. I used a lot of bends and 90 degree intersections to create rigidity. The whole rack remains slightly flexible which is a good thing when it gets bumped with 100lb steel doors and nudges with pallets on and off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts