Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished rebuilding my bed platform after two years of using a 'modular' system. Should first note that 1) I'm not into aesthetics, 2) I'm aware wood should ideally be sealed, and 3) my timelines tend to be short so even though there are many great ways to do things, I generally focus on material availability and ease of construction.

In the first iteration of my bed platform, I reused what I extracted from my old van, then built matching platforms with 'T' stands front and back. The goal was to be able to quickly convert between 'cargo' to 'solo' to 'family' modes, as my van is more a 'toy hauler' than 'camper van'.

This worked well for two years, but my wife has a tendency to announce she's made camping reservations (on short notice, insisting she told me in advance... which never serves my interests to debate). I also bought a hydrofoil board of considerable enough width to make me want to get rid of the center pillars, and in general use found the 'garage' ceiling painfully low to crawl in and out of to retrieve things.

Here are some pics of the old setup - the 'T' pillars bolt into the front or sides, depending on desired 'mode':
Wood Automotive tire Vehicle Floor Wall

Building Wood House Floor Tints and shades

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Car

Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
(on short notice, insisting she told me in advance... which never serves my interests to debate)
And the world will be better for this,
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove with his last ounce of courage,
To reach the unreachable star...

In situations such as these I say to my beloved, " If I had a pair I'd be doing more than muttering under my breath right now." Her stock answer is "If", but every now and then she comes up with an original zinger that cracks me up. There's no malice in this repartee, it's part and parcel of our 30+ year dance.

Oh, nice bed platform, btw. Where do you sleep? 馃槑

Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the new platform I added 2x6 struts on top of the existing 'hangers' (which I'm about to add some vertical support to for added safety). The platform is approximately 6'x6' and holds an RV King mattress from Wilderness RV Mattresses (which we absolutely love). This new configuration adds ~2" to the overall height (we'll need a step) while gaining ~3" underneath.
The wood cross pieces are 2x3 and not necessarily meant to add much rigidity - they are mainly there to screw my board bags into. Support is achieved with 6 inch-and-a-quarter 16-guage plain steel square tubes. Note that nothing about this design was empirical - I bought four of them, threw a piece of 5/8" plywood on top, and had my neighbor measure the deflection with my wife and I sitting on top. I then decided to add two more. They are plain steel so I sprayed them with rustoleum to reduce corrosion (outside only; not much I could do inside but I did spray clearcoat in as best I could).
The struts are pinned with 3" brass construction screws into the 3/4" plywood securely bolted behind my 1/4" skins, to prevent the assembly from becoming a projectile in the unlikely event of a(nother) collision. I've stapled a Harbor Freight moving blanket to it so the mattress can slide in and out easily, and the final touches are to install the board bags and the new lighting system (which is based on the OEM cargo LEDs with the timeout but I don't like the strips so will likely put surface-mount pucks in the spaces between the bags).
Automotive tire Tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Wood Grille Wood stain Hardwood Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Table Wood Rectangle Flooring Fixture

1 - 3 of 3 Posts