Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if this ever happened to anyone or you heard about it, and how did Chrysler resolve it?

I have a 2015 2500 high roof Promaster. I made it into a dessert truck.

Last week I felt the floor felt funny close to where my cash register is. I can't see it because I have a rubber mat covering the entire floor. So I peaked underneath and it seemed as if the floor if been cut and it was breaking apart!

I took it to the dealer and they told me they have never seen anything like this. They took it to weigh and the weight came back way under the maximum capacity of the van. So they were sending a letter to Chrysler to see what they say.

I'm just curious if anybody us us this happen to them?

It is supposed to be a commercial vehicle, so how can the bed floor give away in a little over a year?

Just to clarify, there is nothing heavy over the area where it is breaking.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I am going to guess it broke where you walk or stand near the cash register? A small flex of the floor could have fatigued the metal right there. It probably shouldn't happen but a pressure of 200 lbs (excues me if you are much lighter) on one heal or toe as you turn is a lot of pounds per square inch. If the metal gives just a bit it will begin the process. The mat might better have been placed above a solid floor of plywood or composite to have avoided it. I can see how it could happen, but what FCA does or doesn't do will be interesting. I don't think we have any one with this issue before you. I'm guessing here so clarify.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I will update as soon as hear back from them. Until then, I go on a diet I guess, LOL!
Diet??:eek:

Instead, how about a discount for forum members? We'll help you lighten your load!! Ha! Ha! :D

Seriously though, I hope FCA treats you well with this...

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Yes Diet!

Seriously- I hope you get a solution but what it would be I don't know. Warning to the rest of us to have a solid service if we are going to stand on the floor panel a lot to distribute the weight as the rubber mat isn't enough to do that. Thanks for posting the issue and for the pictures!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, it looks like Chrysler has denied warranty and are unwilling to talk to me or give me any reason for the denial. My dealership rep is going nuts! She can't believe what they just said!
So I guess I will be not purchasing any more promasters for the franchise. This sucks! I was ordering 2 more for a couple of franchisees and now have to look at another van option because I am not going to put my franchisees thru this.
And now I guess I will start an online campaign against Chrysler and even go to the news. I will not take this sitting down!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I use a medium density 3/4"particle board on my entire floor just for that reason. I carry a lot of weight sometimes in a very small footprint that needs some help distributing the weight. It sucks that they won't cover that but I would get it welded back up and look into something like I've done.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have owned Econolines since mid 70's & seen a huge number of them BUT never seen anything like that!

And I've seen some ancient, beat to crap, Econolines that had their floor ribs flattened out & bellied down between cross bracing from decades of excessive loads being thrown on them.

Ram Truck's 3 Year 36,000 mile ProMaster warranty doesn't sound like it's worth snot - If it doesn't cover that.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I am with you on this. Needs to be fixed by them. Your future van MUST have plywood then your rubber mat because of
the constant flex caused by your job. There is no flexing when van is use for cargo because it just sits there. Most class
B,s have a solid floor.

My van I use for three things...work/dailydriver and camping. It is a 2014 and I have had it now for 2 years and 3 months.
Everything is good on my side (no cracks). I have a plywood floor.

Still in my opinion is that FCA should fix this then you should upgrade to plywood under the mat. Hopefully they will fix this.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Have owned Econolines since mid 70's & seen a huge number of them BUT never seen anything like that!

And I've seen some ancient, beat to crap, Econolines that had their floor ribs flattened out & bellied down between cross bracing from decades of excessive loads being thrown on them.

Ram Truck's 3 Year 36,000 mile ProMaster warranty doesn't sound like it's worth snot - If it doesn't cover that.
Jumper , so true but a load is not constantly flexing all day long.
I can see what is going on here and is flexing up and down constantly
because of the job. Only one little crack then it will crack very very fast.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sometimes manufacturer use hardened steel to allow for thinner steel. This hardened steel will crack quicker when flexed.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I would also check under rubber mat to make sure that condensation from equipment (or just from air conditioner keeping inside of van cold) hasn't rusted the floor under the mat. I don't expect rust on such a new van, but if there is rust (even surface rust) it can weaken the metal floor.

I think the idea of adding a subfloor is excellent. Perhaps it should also have a little insulation underneath, and be sealed to prevent condensation from getting under floor.

Do you think Ford would cover this type of failure? I would not want to find out because I've had my share of problems with Ford not covering simple 100% legitimate claims.

In fairness to manufacturers, they have to draw the line somewhere on what they consider abuse or incorrect installations that don't meet specifications (I'm sure limits on concentrated loads are covered somewhere in very fine print no one reads).

·
Registered
174 Posts
FCA should step up and own this issue, however if they dont then the dealership should step in and remedy the problem. They do have "special powers" that can extend warranties, or so I was told by my local dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What really got me upset was speaking to Chrysler customer service people.

At the dealer they were very helpful and the service rep was truly upset that Chrysler had denied the repair. She sent it twice, the second time with more pictures so they would see it better, and the "digital imaging" department denied it again.

So I called Chrysler directly from the dealership and after being transferred 3 times, I finally reached somebody in the Promaster department. She told me that they could do nothing since Digital Imaging had denied the repair already. So I asked to be put in contact with Digital Imaging so they can explain their reasoning behind the denial. She told me that she would not transfer me or give me the contact info for the Digital Imaging department. I was beyond myself by then. I could not believe what she was saying! Basically nobody would give me any explanation on how a vehicle with 22K miles would break like that and it would not be covered by the manufacturer.

The dealership people then started taking more pictures to create a folder to give to their Chrysler rep. Even the GM came out when he found out that I was canceling any further business with them as of that moment and I was calling the local news stations and posting like crazy on social media about my experience as soon as I left there.

They asked for a few days to try to solve the issue, so I will wait, but if not....it's on :)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Flex in itself shouldn't be a problem as long as stresses remain low enough. We can think how much steel springs flex on vehicles and they don't fail after many cycles.

Sometimes manufacturer use hardened steel to allow for thinner steel. This hardened steel will crack quicker when flexed.
Ford is using a lot of high-strength steel in new Transit in order to save weight. The problem is that to actually save weight the cross section has to be made thinner which can lead to greater flex. I'm not sure switching from a ProMaster to another brand of van will solve the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im actually looking at getting a Promaster cutaway, and building the back area custom, like a few european food trucks do.

This way I would not encounter this same issue again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts