Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at the photos of the van that crashed head-on with a semi in France, killing 12 Portugese. Big news here in Portugal, of course. Looks like the van was a Ducato.

Driver survived, probably saved by airbag--I think they only get one instead of our six. I'm guessing the 12 dead were not buckled up. Otherwise, they should have survived. Van doesn't appear to be a passenger van, so I'm guessing no seat belts for them to fasten.

Van looks pretty bad, but it wasn't a fair fight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-killed-minibus-crash-France-road-death.html

·
Super Moderator
10,530 Posts
I think It's a sprinter. If you enlarge it you can make out the MBZ star on the rear hubcap.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was thinking sprinter too. The horizontal door handle on the slider doesn't look like a Ducato. What a horrific amount of damage.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
I spent lots of time in my youth in a "junk yard" of cars where the accident information was written on the roof in paint marker along with the mileage, date etc. As seat and shoulder belts became common and then required in our state I noticed the number of X's -their way to record someone died, became lots less common. Horrifically smashed up cars would have no X's quite often. Reports in our paper also reported if the passengers in accidents were buckled. Seeing what happened led me to believe airbags defeated some of the benefit of seat belts as the sense that the airbag was protection enough kept some people from buckling up. Combine that with deaths from the early high explosive airbags got me to avoid buying an airbag equipped vehicle until 14 years after they were required. I always buckle up as I accept the safety of them. BTW I ride motorcycles but wear ATGATT except on my 49cc scooter. Yes I know it is dangerous.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I spent lots of time in my youth in a "junk yard" of cars where the accident information was written on the roof in paint marker along with the mileage, date etc. As seat and shoulder belts became common and then required in our state I noticed the number of X's -their way to record someone died, became lots less common. Horrifically smashed up cars would have no X's quite often. Reports in our paper also reported if the passengers in accidents were buckled. Seeing what happened led me to believe airbags defeated some of the benefit of seat belts as the sense that the airbag was protection enough kept some people from buckling up. Combine that with deaths from the early high explosive airbags got me to avoid buying an airbag equipped vehicle until 14 years after they were required. I always buckle up as I accept the safety of them. BTW I ride motorcycles but wear ATGATT except on my 49cc scooter. Yes I know it is dangerous.
Those cars got safer as well. We often knock new cars for folding up in a collision but they are absorbing a tremendous amount of energy when they do.

Saw this vid a few months ago and laughed, because I can still hear some older guys saying, "my old Chevy would demolish that car! "

So a 59 Chevy or a 09 in a offset head on collision? Take your pick and then watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

·
Registered
171 Posts
It seems that the Mercedes Benz Sprinter was a van and not a "legal" minibus, that was converted to carry persons. French investigators will check if there were homologated seats and safety features for passengers transport.
The driver, 19 years old, had not the driving license to carry so many passengers since in Portugal it is needed a special license and be ged at least 21.
The truck driver declared that the van was probably trying an overtake, so the frontal collision. After the frontal collision the van went offroad pushed by the truck against a small tree in a small lateral chanel, flipped upsidedown.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the details. We could see the pictures and interpret that people died, but no more since we don't speak the language.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts