Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there's a thread buried somewhere in here but couldn't seem to dig it out. Running electric from the engine compartment back to the house batteries, is there a route or universal way folks run electric from the engine compartment to back inside where the house batteries would be?

My 2018 hasn't come in yet and I'm trying to work out as much as I can before it gets here including buying some equipment. My plan is to use a CTEK D250S Dual or Projecta IDC25 from the starter battery back to a house battery with the option of solar later.

Thx!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just working on exactly the same thing. I'll be taking the flooring out around the driver's seat to expose the battery. I'll run my wiring (including some rear speaker wires) along the door side of the driver's seat and into the large enclosed channel that runs along the base of the van wall. In my case, the electrical centre will be located just aft of the large pillar halfway along the van. It will include the Projecta, Inverter, batteries, and distribution panel. I'll run wiring from my solar panels right down that vertical pillar, and I'll have my ground with the chassis at it's base.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
The route for running the wire from the starting battery to the back (house battery) is well documented here including photos. Keep searching and you will discover it.

Hint: it follows the plastic channel on the floor on the left side of the drivers seat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm trying to work out exactly the same. Have you worked yours out yet? Recent pics would help me a lot.
I'm sure there's a thread buried somewhere in here but couldn't seem to dig it out. Running electric from the engine compartment back to the house batteries, is there a route or universal way folks run electric from the engine compartment to back inside where the house batteries would be?

My 2018 hasn't come in yet and I'm trying to work out as much as I can before it gets here including buying some equipment. My plan is to use a CTEK D250S Dual or Projecta IDC25 from the starter battery back to a house battery with the option of solar later.

Thx!
Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
In post #3 KOV shows the large red wire inside the white channel going from his starter battery to the back. I don’t know why you are still asking? What don’t you understand?

·
Registered
54 Posts
when i ran wiring for my brake contrioller - i just removed the floor boards from the driver side where u step up on to and remove the pillar cover behind the drivers seat then went up to ceiling where there is a pocket along length of van . no reason why u cant do the same.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
I did what radioman did... the "top route" is easy once you get up the B or C column. My electrical distribution is in the upper cabinet right behind the drivers seat. Even cross-van wiring is do-able thru the cross ribs supporting the ceiling.

Additional note: The battery to aux battery run is along the floor to my couch as many have done... then the feeds go up the C column to the distribution location.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My house bank is over the rear axle. The path for my 2/0ga cable (12+ft) was the same as KOV's to the back of driver's seat. From there, it runs along the floor tight up against the left wall. It runs in a chase let into the back of the cabinets. I thought about running it behind the black triangles, but this was easier and hidden by cabinets all the way. The path would have been much longer going up to the roof and back down.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,708 Posts
Same

My house bank is over the rear axle. The path for my 2/0ga cable (12+ft) was the same as KOV's to the back of driver's seat. From there, it runs along the floor tight up against the left wall. It runs in a chase let into the back of the cabinets. I thought about running it behind the black triangles, but this was easier and hidden by cabinets all the way. The path would have been much longer going up to the roof and back down.
Mine is the same as Stevess

It goes like KOVs to the rear of the drivers seat, onto the floor & behind cabinets @ the left wall until the wheel-well where it runs 90 degrees under the bed to the batteries (16’ total cable length)

·
Registered
1 Posts
For this front to back wiring, the picture (in post 3) shows the white channel in the drivers step-well, but where is the other end of this channel? I have taken a cover off at the bottom of the pillar, and the cover underneath that exposes the gas filler pipe, but I can not see the other end of that channel. Does one need to take out the driver seat? Do I remove the cover on the pillar where the seat belt is attached?

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
I just did this on Saturday in my ‘20 and the channel was filled with other factory wires. Not wanting to disturb them I simply ran my #4 wire in the back of the drivers step well (it’s covered & protected by the black plastic step covering. I think the open channel way is the best if it’s available to you however. I don’t recall removing my seat but I did it almost 6 years ago.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Those factory white channels end close to the e-brake. I moved and consolidated the factory wiring into fewer channels in order to free up the outer(?) one for the coach-battery cable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts