Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have the 125A Battery Doctor, #20092 . I have 1, 80A ANL fuse and holder. I plan on putting the house battery just behind the front seat. It is a 105Ah EastPenn deep cycle AGM. I don't have solar. I don't have AC. I have a small, 300W inverter. I plan on using 4 AWG cable. Probably 4 AWG THHN from Home Depot. With crimped connectors (via my vise) and soldered ring terminals. Now for the questions:

1. I can put the BD in the same compartment as the van battery. I won't be able to see the lights. I would be able to press the switch if I needed a jump. Good or bad idea?

2. The + cable from the van battery to the BD needs to be fused. The FAQ section of the manual for the BD states that "the battery isolator has inbuilt over-current protection which will protect the cable from the starting battery". So, no fuse required for this cable???? Even if I don't mount the BD near the van battery and decide to place it just behind the driver's seat? (a cable run of maybe 3'???). I thought you always put the fuse as close as possible to the battery????

3.As for the + cable from the BD to the house battery, I plan on putting the 80A ANL fuse in this cable close to the house battery. Correct?

4. The BD manual states to "connect a length of cable (of suitable size, commonly 2 B&S) from the vehicle's chassis or engine block to the negative terminal of the house battery as a ground cable". Really??? Do I need to jump up to 2 AWG for the ground? I can run the cable from the house back to the van battery OR I could attach it near the house battery. Preferences????

As usual, TIA!!!!0:)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yes you should fuse the cable AT the battery so a short to ground in that short wire does no start a fire and burn up your van.
If you close your BD and use it to start the van the negative wire could be carrying more current than the positive as the conversion load would be on it too. In reality it may not matter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts