Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have deferred on installing an Aux battery setup until I have the time/money to do it correctly, plus I'm waiting to see if there will be some developments in lithium batteries and/or solar.
Right now I run my fridge, cabin fan, roof fan, tv, interior lights off the main battery for overnights and weekends. For longer trips I'm wondering if it makes sense to hook up a battery charger to the battery while stationary camping?

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
At least get yourself 2/6v golf cart batteries and a cheap inverter from Harbor Fright.. For $350 including wire, etc, you will at least not have to worry about killing your starting battery. You can always upgrade when you feel it's worthwhile. Don't fool yourself into thinking technology is going to change drastically in 2 or 3 years. Solar panels are already super cheap, batteries aren't going down in price or even up in quality enough to wait. Five years, yes, probably, but that's a long way off.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I finally went to Flooded Lead Acid golf cart batteries and 200 watts of solar. Mature technology, easily bought, safe considering they are batteries, and relatively cheap. You can see my build plan for sources and prices but the whole battery, solar, controller, and inverter were under $900. No Li-Ion battery set will be that cheap in the lifetime of these batteries. Do it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have deferred on installing an Aux battery setup until I have the time/money to do it correctly, plus I'm waiting to see if there will be some developments in lithium batteries and/or solar.
Right now I run my fridge, cabin fan, roof fan, tv, interior lights off the main battery for overnights and weekends. For longer trips I'm wondering if it makes sense to hook up a battery charger to the battery while stationary camping?
How do you run all that off your main battery? You mean you leave your engine running?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the engine off. I did the calculations at some point but can't remember them exactly. The roof fan, leds and cabin fan draw almost nothing, the fridge is the largest at maybe 1.5 amps an hour conservative. With everything on I'm maybe drawing 2 amps an hour. So roughly I figure I have about 20 hours of engine off before depleting the battery down to 60%. Although I have left the fridge on for days when I'm not in and out of it and have noticed little drain. Granted I mostly only have the tv on for one movie. I keep a jump box in the van but haven't needed it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hit Interstate Battery off Phillips Hwy and buy a refurbished direct replacement battery for about $50. I did that plus the Battery Doctor Isolator and some wire and it was only about $150 for everything. The Battery Doctor is nice because it has an override to backfill the main battery in case you drain it, basically it equalizes the 2 batteries to allow you to start your engine.

I also installed an LCD battery voltage meter for both batteries to monitor them, put the main battery meter on the fuse panel cover for easy viewing.

Next time I run into you at Home Depot you can check it out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
With the engine off. I did the calculations at some point but can't remember them exactly. The roof fan, leds and cabin fan draw almost nothing, the fridge is the largest at maybe 1.5 amps an hour conservative. With everything on I'm maybe drawing 2 amps an hour. So roughly I figure I have about 20 hours of engine off before depleting the battery down to 60%. Although I have left the fridge on for days when I'm not in and out of it and have noticed little drain. Granted I mostly only have the tv on for one movie. I keep a jump box in the van but haven't needed it.
You will kill your main battery eventually. The issue is that your main battery is a starter battery and designed for short high output cranking not running down on a regular basis.

If you only camp at campgrounds with power then yes you could just hook up a charger to your main to keep it from being run down. Otherwise get a secondary isolated battery.

Something like this would work well. $99 now vs. a new starter battery later:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LWVEKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449341665&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=battery+charger&psc=1[/ame]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts