Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,599 Posts
Mine are high on the face of an overhead cabinet behind the driver’s seat. Easy to see but not in my face. BTW I now after nearly 5 years have them turned off as I have come to trust my solar. PowerCntr.JPG

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. I also have a Webasto Air top heater with the SmarTemp Control
held on to the column after the sliding door by a Nd magnet. I haven't figured out a convenient spot for it yet. I have it running while driving in the very cold weather sometimes and would like a better spot for it while i'm driving but still accessible from the rear if I am sleeping inside. Same would be for the battery displays.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
If it's not your primary vehicle consider placing it so you can read the battery voltage from the outside.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Most of our electronics are at eye level in a box just aft of the slider. Radio, a bank of switches, battery monitor, fan controller, inverter switch.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
After too many cold mornings, I moved my Webasto rheostat to the side of the cabinet where it could be accessed while under the covers.

My TriMetric is on the C pillar opposite the slider. Theoretically, it can be seen from the outside, but realistically, the window tint is too dark. I anguished over where I could move it to up front so I could see it while driving, but Bogart rescued me with a WiFi unit so I can access it on my phone. If I didn’t have a stiff neck I, as passenger, could turn in my seat and see it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Personally I think that all of those dials can make a person go crazy. If you really need to look at more than one electrical meter routinely maybe the system isn't robust enough?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I mounted our battery monitor where it could be seen while driving, so we could actively monitor and manage alternator charging. I mounted it on the B-pillar cover next to the driver's seat. But, we have factory swivel seats with seat belts attached, so our the B-pillars are empty inside. On the same B-pillar, I also mounted the manual combiner switch for the battery isolater, and a small, cheap multi-meter to monitor solar controller output. We never turn off solar, we just enjoy watching the magic. Obviously, the driver can't safely look at these displays while driving, so the co-pilot keeps an eye on them.

The inverter/charger controller and tank-level gauge are mounted above the slider. The controller for the new parking heater is above the foot of the bed where it can be reached day and night.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Personally I think that all of those dials can make a person go crazy. If you really need to look at more than one electrical meter routinely maybe the system isn't robust enough?
We're fascinated with all our 'dials' - - we just sit there and stare at them.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Have mine in my pocket, or dash, or outside as it shows up bluetooth on my iPhone.

Really like that feature.

The actual gauge is mounted n the face of my kitchen sink cabinet

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have both a Victron BMV 712 Smart and the Color Control GX, I placed them in the overhead bin storage with all of my other controls. I can access the battery state via bluetooth so I didn't feel the need to have it from the drivers seat, but I also don't really look at it much under normal circumstances (although I spent a lot of time worrying about it a few weeks ago when I lost my only charging method, a sterling 60 amp battery to battery charger)

I am thinking about relocating the controller for my Webasto closer to the bed after reading this thread. It is a good time since I am doing a remodel right now while at home for the corona distancing.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have both a Victron BMV 712 Smart and the Color Control GX, I placed them in the overhead bin storage with all of my other controls. I can access the battery state via bluetooth so I didn't feel the need to have it from the drivers seat, but I also don't really look at it much under normal circumstances (although I spent a lot of time worrying about it a few weeks ago when I lost my only charging method, a sterling 60 amp battery to battery charger)

I am thinking about relocating the controller for my Webasto closer to the bed after reading this thread. It is a good time since I am doing a remodel right now while at home for the corona distancing.
Thermostat Control Position;

I suppose it depends upon how your system is set up and what you’re trying to achieve. Our forced air heater supply is beside our bed (about 65” from the back doors). Our return air under our bed which comes from partly from our fridge opening & vent (close to the sliding door) & mostly from the gap between our bed & the back door inner skins (whatever that is 74” x 3”), thus the majority of the air movement is across the bed (supply to return).

Our thermostat is about 30” higher than our supply air & about 36” away from it horizontally. Our supply “round grill” is also directionally adjustable.

If you are using your heater primarily for when sleeping then your system can be tweaked for that scenario. You need to consider; supply, return, & thermostat position (assuming balancing is not optional - I do not know your setup)

B167A0CA-9590-4B9A-B803-006AE8DA7E92.jpeg

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thermostat Control Position;

I suppose it depends upon how your system is set up and what you’re trying to achieve. Our forced air heater supply is beside our bed (about 65” from the back doors). Our return air under our bed which comes from partly from our fridge opening & vent (close to the sliding door) & mostly from the gap between our bed & the back door inner skins (whatever that is 74” x 3”), thus the majority of the air movement is across the bed (supply to return).

Our thermostat is about 30” higher than our supply air & about 36” away from it horizontally. Our supply “round grill” is also directionally adjustable.

If you are using your heater primarily for when sleeping then your system can be tweaked for that scenario. You need to consider; supply, return, & thermostat position (assuming balancing is not optional - I do not know your setup)
In my system the thermostat is in the return air inlet, moving the controls is just so I don't have to get out of bed to reach it! Moving the control doesn't change the the temperature sensor at all.

I actually have a remote temperature system that I have never bothered connecting, but the placement of that is independent of the controls. My return air actually comes from the front of the van though a storage compartment that runs along the drivers side. I don't really need the heat while I am actually sleeping, the sleeping area is extremely well insulated, I've never been cold down to about 6 degrees fahrenheit, but I need (want) to turn the heat on before I get out of the bed

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I've placed my panel above the side window just behind the driver. It is hinged on the bottom for easy access and is out of the way. I have one more item to add to the panel then I will cover it like Winston has.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
We're fascinated with all our 'dials' - - we just sit there and stare at them.
Yes, my electrical install van customers like to have lots of dials to watch. On my own system I just have a panel volt meter. It isn't a cost issue, I have a couple of Bogart's in my parts bin and the shunt is already in place.

I think that it is easier to just rely on a volt meter when your battery pack is 48 volt instead of 12, because all of the readings are amplified 4x.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I installed the Webasto rheostat at the head of the bed, then we decided to sleep with the head on the other side. Didn’t take many cold mornings to decide I needEd to move the rheostat to the new head of the bed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts