Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start the ProMaster the other day, dead as a doornail! Measured 2 volts at the jump start connections under the hood. Hooked up a 8 amp charger for several hours to no avail -- and no increase in voltage. So I called the FCA roadside assistance for a tow to the dealer. The tow truck guy gave it a shot with his jump pack -- at least the dash lit up, but no crank.

Dealer says it is just the battery and ordered a new one, supposed to be ready tomorrow. I hope they're right! I mean, I hope that it's just the battery and nothing else. The bad news is that we were going to leave early tomorrow morning for our place in Tennessee. I guess we'll leave Wednesday, given that the dealer actually fixes it! And they better not try and charge me for the battery! The van has less than 2,000 miles on it, and we just bought it in July.

I suppose I'm not surprised by the battery failing; crummy dealer battery in the first place, and who knows how long it sat at the dealer, dead to the world. Remember that this is a 2015 diesel that we just bought new.

Oh well, the adventure begins...!

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
You should not judge the van by this experience. All vehicles seem to now have small electrical loads when off. I store some cars for 6 months each year and disconnect the negative terminal. That battery sat dead at the dealers for several years! Only the seller is at fault.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not to add more to collateral damage but the diesel battery is slightly larger, heavier, more powerfull than the V6’s... 100AH vs. 95Ah IIRC.

Hope they source the correct part for your application the first time..

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mine had sat for most of a year and occasionally got used as a demo before I got it. (500 miles in a year isn't much charging time.) Battery seems fine so far. But past experience tells me that most new car battery's will die shortly after they reach 3 years old. I have had some die in as little as two months and 18 months too. This is what warranties are for. Last year the battery in my wife's 2014 Fusion died suddenly just 161 miles out of warranty!

Factory batteries are cheap assed ones IME.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I picked up the van this afternoon (not literally!) and it fired right up. No charge for the battery (no pun intended), but they didn't have the paperwork done so I couldn't look at what battery they put in. They said they'd mail me the invoice. Perhaps I should have a look-see for myself to check for proper replacement?

Tomorrow we have a road trip to our Tennessee property, not a camping trip but we are taking down a large plastic shed to store stuff at our cabin, and bringing back a slab of quartz countertop we found cheap in Chattanooga. The slab is 63" by 120" and will slide right into my 159" WB -- ain't that awesome!

I was a bit annoyed with the dealer: number 1, they did not set date and time on the van (and I'll probably have to enter the radio code), and 2ndly they did not deal with the low tire pressure light. I whipped the van right back in and had them top off the tires. He told me 65 PSI in the front and 80 PSI in the rear -- guest I'll take his word for it for now.

Still, as I drove home from the dealer I thought, "I really enjoy driving the beast!" It is surprisingly quiet and easy to drive. I reckon it will only get quieter as I start my conversion. Will start an appropriate thread for that soon.

Thanks for piping in you guys!

·
Registered
810 Posts
When I saw my 2014 van at the dealers in June 14, its battery was dead. Gasser had the lights left on after the van was turned off and that drained the battery.
So, now, I will be going on 'my' 4th winter with the stock battery. (September 13) battery date sticker.
Should I trust it to make it thru the winter of 17-18?
Or should I change it before it gets butt ass cold out there in January 18?
I wonder if there's anything warranty on the battery?

·
Registered
473 Posts
When I saw my 2014 van at the dealers in June 14, its battery was dead. Gasser had the lights left on after the van was turned off and that drained the battery.
So, now, I will be going on 'my' 4th winter with the stock battery. (September 13) battery date sticker.
Should I trust it to make it thru the winter of 17-18?
Or should I change it before it gets butt ass cold out there in January 18?
I wonder if there's anything warranty on the battery?
The lights will not stay on after the engine is turned off at least not on my gas 2014 3500 EXT. If you leave them on they will turn off and simply turn on when you restart the van. My van's battery is also going on 4 years. It hasn't given any indication of low charge or weakness but batteries these days seem to work perfectly fine and then just quit. Batteries in these things are huge! Hopefully that will help them last longer.

·
Super Moderator
10,853 Posts
The lights will not stay on after the engine is turned off at least not on my gas 2014 3500 EXT. If you leave them on they will turn off and simply turn on when you restart the van. My van's battery is also going on 4 years. It hasn't given any indication of low charge or weakness but batteries these days seem to work perfectly fine and then just quit. Batteries in these things are huge! Hopefully that will help them last longer.
Same here! You cannot leave the lights on without having the ignition switch on (at least in a ‘14)

·
Registered
810 Posts
turn your lights off, turn your ignition off, remove the key, physically turn ON the headlight stalk.. the parking lights come on. . and stay on .
2014 gasser.. headlight stalk is off when you shut down the ignition. turn it back on after key is out and youll.see.what happens.the parking lights will stay on till you shut it off or the battery gives in.

·
Super Moderator
10,853 Posts
Good to know I’ll try it as soon as I go out. I’ve never ever even tried to use the parking lights in 3 ½ years ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Same here! You cannot leave the lights on without having the ignition switch on (at least in a ‘14)
If the headlight switch is on when you stop the engine and remove the key, you can then turn the headlight switch off and back on and the parking lights will come on (even with the key removed).

They will stay on until you either turn the headlight switch off or turn the key on and off.

Page 86 of the owners manual.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If the headlight switch is on when you stop the engine and remove the key, you can then turn the headlight switch off and back on and the parking lights will come on (even with the key removed).

They will stay on until you either turn the headlight switch off or turn the key on and off.

Page 86 of the owners manual.
and If you fail to do the switch again, they stay on as long as it has juice, or you do the switch or ignition.

·
Super Moderator
10,853 Posts
Pops, you’re correct about the parking lights they are always hot. I was talking about the headlights, however, that only work with the ignition on ;)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Don't forget the 'follow me' feature. If you're headlights switch is on, and you turned the key off, pull your high beam switch in for a short short and it will add 30 seconds to the headlight, twice, 60 seconds, every time you pull this hi beam switch in it will add more time to the headlights even when the key is out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to add more to collateral damage but the diesel battery is slightly larger, heavier, more powerfull than the V6’s... 100AH vs. 95Ah IIRC.

Hope they source the correct part for your application the first time..
How wise you are!! I checked and sure enough, they put in a 95AH battery! The dealer will be getting a call tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You should not judge the van by this experience. All vehicles seem to now have small electrical loads when off. I store some cars for 6 months each year and disconnect the negative terminal. That battery sat dead at the dealers for several years! Only the seller is at fault.
We picked the unit up from the dealer and drove to our cabin in Tennessee (near Cookeville) with side trips to Nashville and Chattanooga. The van performed well, got great mileage, and was a pleasure to drive. I find the van to be surprisingly quiet, given that it is just a big metal can.

We had no problems with parking, even downtown Chattanooga, and no problems with the steep grades, even after we picked a thousand pound slab of quartz countertop!

Thanks for the encouraging words RD!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I think we may have a bad factory battery, too. During the conversion process, the van has been sitting more than driving. It sat for several months before barely starting mid-January. Too long, I know. The charger initially read 35% (surprised it started at all). Then it was 92% before charging it again 4 days later. Now 13 days later, it was 54%. That can't be good, right? How often do folks find they need to charge their engine battery when it's just sitting?

Even if it's replaced, I'm still going to set up a charge maintenance system like some others have done. I'm thinking maybe a hardwired NOCO smart trickle charger that I plug into the van's AC-power when the van is parked at home on shore power.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,751 Posts
I keep all the batteries charged, I either plug the van in(battery maintainer) or pull the switch and connect it to the house batteries/solar.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think we may have a bad factory battery, too. During the conversion process, the van has been sitting more than driving. It sat for several months before barely starting mid-January. Too long, I know. The charger initially read 35% (surprised it started at all). Then it was 92% before charging it again 4 days later. Now 13 days later, it was 54%. That can't be good, right? How often do folks find they need to charge their engine battery when it's just sitting?

Even if it's replaced, I'm still going to set up a charge maintenance system like some others have done. I'm thinking maybe a hardwired NOCO smart trickle charger that I plug into the van's AC-power when the van is parked at home on shore power.
I was advised to charge it after about 2 weeks of sitting. It is usually 12.2V-12.3V after 2 weeks. After about 1 month I had about 11.9V. Probably shouldn't let it get that low on a regular basis.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts